Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Favorite Plinkin' Targets?

1542 37
Yeah, we all love the tin can. Here's another that this rimfire mafia loves to wear out--I have to rebuild it and repaint it after every session at the range. We shoot it till it shears off the pins and the ducks turn sideways. All part of the fun! You can see the craters where someone other than rimfire-approved has hit the quackers with something stronger, haven't caught them yet :oops:
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
22ags
your right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i like the bottom side of a beer can.
if you can see it, you should be able to hit it.
many has gone to the house, cause they can't see it!!!!!!!!!!
i wonder why???????????
good reason to go-away

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Boley's carny rig gets the A Number One award for most fun per pair of batteries :)

Roger,
Me too, the trick being to hit the brass bases to see those shells really take off like crazy.

Abesh,
VErry clever the way that works--shoot the four little ones till they spin and get caught by the bar, then shoot the big target which releases them again for another go.
Get both a white primer and then the fluorescent final coat to make those targets really bright.

Any Arnold Palmers out here? Golf Balls are the most reactive thing we've tried, you get about two shots on the ball before it's left the county.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The most fun to me was going down to the old trash dump and shooting beer bottles and shaving cream cans. A box of bullets didn't go far. Another was walking down a old rail road track and shooting Crows, Black birds and anything that was in the mud beside the tracks. Good thick red clay mud is fun to shoot into.
Billy

·
Registered
4,997 Posts

·
34,843 Posts
Nothing is more fun than setting up golf balls at the bottom of a steep hill in the desert and bouncing the balls up hill until they are out of range or hidden.

My buds and I do this in CA. We budget 750 rounds a day for a 4 day trip.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Shotgun hulls are great, but nothing beats a golf ball!

Golf balls with a 308 though... 1 solid hit, and it's gone! "chip" it, and it'll roll 5-10 ft, but a solid hit, there's nothing left sometimes.

There's also "sniper golf" the ball starts close to you, and you shoot it until it gets within a small area for the "hole". Each shot counts as a swing.... looking forward to trying that one.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Yeah, we all love the tin can. Here's another that this rimfire mafia loves to wear out--I have to rebuild it and repaint it after every session at the range. We shoot it till it shears off the pins and the ducks turn sideways. All part of the fun! You can see the craters where someone other than rimfire-approved has hit the quackers with something stronger, haven't caught them yet :oops:
Wow that's a clever design 22AGS!Bound to be lots of fun,and rugged enough to be left at the club for all to use and abuse.Uncommon to see a target that reacts to 22 rimfire that resists being destroyed by more powerful calibers as yours does.Nice!boley

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey abesh!
Is that commercially available?:cool:
I believe so. I got it from the local gun shop, but I had to put it together... took about 10 min. I used to have a can of spray paint, but I used it all up, and keep forgetting to get more. I will surely get the primer and paint next time I am at a store.
Last time I took it out, I used some of my GF's art paint.
Only bad thing is it is tricky to try and fit it in the trunk (civic) with the rifles and other junk back there. The one Jetgirl got should not have that problem.

Billyram I was thinking about going to the dump and seeing if I could shoot out there, but didn't think they would let me.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Billyram I was thinking about going to the dump and seeing if I could shoot out there, but didn't think they would let me.[/QUOTE]

Those days are over with. No more dumping trash and burning it and you don't just enter a land fill. A while back towns just burned their trash about once or twice a week in a dump site crawling with rats. Rats were another target you could burn up some ammo on.
Billy

·
Registered
104 Posts
A few of the fun things i shoot at are paint balls, spent shotgun shells, clays, cans/bottles hung on a string and hockey pucks.

The paintballs i tape to a target board and may take a couple shots to hit but give positive feedback when hit.

Shells i tape to the perimeter of a target board with the brass overhanging the edge. when you hit them, they usually go flying off.

Hanging plastic bottles and cans from a string lets you keep whacking at it until its swiss cheese. Fill them with sand for added effect.

Hockey pucks are good for playing around with since you can drop it down and keep shooting at it to bump it further and further back. They are strong enough that rather than break apart, they lead either careens off or embeds into the rubber. Good for many reuses!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.