Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious what are some of the fastest ammo's out there? Disregarding the Stingers cause I have a match chamber. I am looking for a good round for prarie dogs out to about 100yds so it is gonna have to be a hollow point as well any suggestions on what I should try first to see what my rifle likes?

Cheaper is better if possible

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Hyper-Velocity .22LR Ammo

Goob312,

Here is a listing of the Hyper-Velocity .22LR ammo:

.22LR Hyper-Velocity Ammo

Disregard the "Aguila Super Max: .22LR, 30 gr HP, CC, 1750 fps", as the 1750 fps is a myth...! ! It is lucky if it makes 1600 fps...! ! :(

You might better use "retained velocity at 100 yards" as an indicator of a round's effectiveness on small game and varmints.

Look here for .22LR rimfire ballistics:

.22LR Rimfire Ballistics Table

Of course, accuracy should be your #1 consideration....! ! If it doesn't shoot well in your rifle, forget it....! ! :eek:

Bottom line: most find the Winchester Power Points to be the best compromise of velocity, accuracy, and terminal effectiveness....! ! :)

Hope this helps....! ! :)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Re: Hyper-Velocity .22LR Ammo

BigMike said:
<snip>

Disregard the "Aguila Super Max: .22LR, 30 gr HP, CC, 1750 fps", as the 1750 fps is a myth...! ! It is lucky if it makes 1600 fps...! ! :(

<snip>
Mike
The ones I have actually averaged a little better than that from the original barrel on my AMT (22") 1769fps for ten across my chrony.
That was a couple of years ago, I shot some the other day (without my chrony) and am having major trouble with FTF's even in my CZ :(
Mine are "pre -ely primed"
Paul

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Does the wind blow in Kansas? Well, if it does, keep in mind that the faster .22lf rounds will be much more sensitive to the wind, and, like BigMike said, won't deliver any more killing power. The only advantage I see with the fast stuff is a little flatter tragectory, but the difference in practical terms won't help you much. You're still going to have to be very good at range estimation. I'd vote for PowerPoints. For cheap stuff, I'd give Xperts a try. They have a big hollow point (like Powerpoints) and shoot pretty well in some of my rifles.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Also give the Velocitors a try. They're 40gr like the PowerPoints, and (if you believe CCI's numbers) 200fps faster. Also higher BC on the bullet so it should buck wind and retain velocity better.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Re: Hyper-Velocity .22LR Ammo

BigMike said:
Goob312,

Bottom line: most find the Winchester Power Points to be the best compromise of velocity, accuracy, and terminal effectiveness....! ! :)

Hope this helps....! ! :)
I would just like to point out and second BigMike here. The PP is a good round for terminal effectiveness at the longer ranges.

You may also want to look into the CCI Mini Mags, CCI Velocitors.

Dean_311

·
Registered
557 Posts
P Dog ammo

Try Winchester Power -Point X22LRPP. If they shoot in you rifle try them on P Dogs. Last year shot over 300 and in 01 Yr over 550 P Dogs with them. Best ammo for two of my rimfires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.