Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently completed my 1st 10/22 conversion. I used an Adams & Bennet 18" barrel and the adjustable Fajen stock. Both from Midway. Worked the trigger a little and went out to shoot. Shot some Remmy bulk from wal-marty to settle things in and function check. Also to center up the scope. Everything worked well.

After a few hour break it was test time. 50 yard targets. Wolf Match. Initial groups were very promissing. 3 and 5 shot groups almost always a ragged hole. As we shot the groups opened up (after about 25 rounds of wolf) to nickle size sometimes with no 2 holes touching.

I swapped my rifle into my buddies Houge stock. Good groups again. Replaced it back in my stock. Good groups again for a while then opened up again.

Does this sound like a bedding issue? Heat issue?

I am thinking of freefloating the barrel. Any advise is welcome.

PS I check all the screw including the barrel block screw. All tight.
Thanks.

·
34,843 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the barrel to see if the groups go back?

I hate plastic stocks. Fiberglass, Kevlar, laminated wood and wood all to work better than Tupperware. With a heavy barrel 22 it is VERY unlikely top be heat from shooting. Ambient temp change can and will have more effect on the plastic stock than shooting 25 or even 100 rounds of 22 lr will.

I spent 27 years in injection molding and refuse to use a plastic stock. They will never be the best thing for high precision

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.