Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas,

I bought a 10/22 Mag that came with a Green Mountain .920 barrel. I have shot 5 different kinds of ammo with it and consistently has the same problem: the spent shell case doesn't get removed from the chamber and I have to dig it out by hand.

I also have a Clarke .920 .17HMR barrel for the rifle and it ejects spent cases just fine. The gun never fails to eject, or fails to feed. It doesn't stove pipe either. With the .17HMR barrel the rifle is almost flawless.

So...I'm thinking the .22 Mag barrel is the problem. Anybody know what it is, and more importantly, what the remedy is? Tight chamber maybe?

Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks! I thought of that just after I posted my inquiry. So I just got done scrubbing the chamber with Hoppe's 9 and a synthetic brush. I also used a bunch of patches and really gave it a going over. I'll try it again tomorrow and let you know how it works.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I just got back from the range. The rifle functioned pretty good for the first two magazines, then it started to fail to eject. It got worse and worse until, after about 60-70 rounds, it was almost as bad as it was yesterday.

So, it sounds like the next step is an aftermarket extractor. But it sure seems like this whole problem could be solved by the barrel manufacturers--just cut the chambers about 0.0001" bigger. But, I suppose that would just cause a bunch of new problems.

Thanks for all the help gentlemen! I probably won't get a new extractor until the fall (I'll be shooting the rifle with the .17 HMR barrel this spring and summer). But, once I get the new extractor installed, I'll post a report!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I'll do that. (This was only the third time that I shot the rifle). But even with a clean chamber, it never made it through an entire 9-shot magazine without at least one failure to eject. (I think there was one failure in each of the first two magazines). I want to use it for close-up ground squirrel shooting, but I won't until I get this issue resolved. Until I do, I'll just use the .17 HMR barrel.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered a Volquartsen bolt buffer and a Power Custom titanium extractor. I installed them last night and will get to the range before church on Sunday. I cleaned my chamber again, so hopefully I can get 100 rounds through the tube without any serious FTE problems. I'll let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I installed a new Power Custom extractor and plunger spring. I scrubbed out the chamber again and headed for the range. I fired 61 shots, using 3 types of ammo. I had 1 failure to eject and 2 stovepipes. Not too bad. Progress anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.