Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas,

I bought a 10/22 Mag that came with a Green Mountain .920 barrel. I have shot 5 different kinds of ammo with it and consistently has the same problem: the spent shell case doesn't get removed from the chamber and I have to dig it out by hand.

I also have a Clarke .920 .17HMR barrel for the rifle and it ejects spent cases just fine. The gun never fails to eject, or fails to feed. It doesn't stove pipe either. With the .17HMR barrel the rifle is almost flawless.

So...I'm thinking the .22 Mag barrel is the problem. Anybody know what it is, and more importantly, what the remedy is? Tight chamber maybe?

Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks! I thought of that just after I posted my inquiry. So I just got done scrubbing the chamber with Hoppe's 9 and a synthetic brush. I also used a bunch of patches and really gave it a going over. I'll try it again tomorrow and let you know how it works.

·
Registered
714 Posts
can we ask what cut was used ( on the barrel/chamber) to allow the extractor to grip the shell base?

this is important we had some here with good barrels mounted that would not extract spent shells

if its a straight slot that goes past the maximun of the extractor this may be your problem theres supposed to be a angled section that clamps the extrator to the shell case to grip it firmly this isangle is set so that 25% of the shell is removed and traveling before it runs clear the bolt and extractor travel to the rear and the rear left bottom of the spent shell hits the ejector and is tossed clear of the extractor and ejected

we brazed sections of 7xxx grade alu into fill this and all are working now perfectly, i hope, got no complaints anyway

cheers

jack

·
Registered
307 Posts
Is this a dual or single claw extractor 10/22.? It makes sense that the .17 cases extracts well.! There is less bearing surface due to the bottle neck design of the .17 as oppossed to the straight wall case of he 22mag..

·
Registered
307 Posts
Single extractor models are notorius for this.! I would opt to replace the bolt for a dual extractor.. FWIW,You can also try a titanium extractor which will help some but may or may not be to your satisfaction, it will still likely jam after 10-15 rnds..

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Single extractor models are notorius for this.! I would opt to replace the bolt for a dual extractor.. FWIW,You can also try a titanium extractor which will help some but may or may not be to your satisfaction, it will still likely jam after 10-15 rnds..
Interesting... I have two early single extractor models and they both run fine... and both have their factory extractors.

Of course I am using factory barrels (one .17 HMR, one .22 WMR) so their chambers are likely not as tight as on the after-market barrels.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I just got back from the range. The rifle functioned pretty good for the first two magazines, then it started to fail to eject. It got worse and worse until, after about 60-70 rounds, it was almost as bad as it was yesterday.

So, it sounds like the next step is an aftermarket extractor. But it sure seems like this whole problem could be solved by the barrel manufacturers--just cut the chambers about 0.0001" bigger. But, I suppose that would just cause a bunch of new problems.

Thanks for all the help gentlemen! I probably won't get a new extractor until the fall (I'll be shooting the rifle with the .17 HMR barrel this spring and summer). But, once I get the new extractor installed, I'll post a report!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I'll do that. (This was only the third time that I shot the rifle). But even with a clean chamber, it never made it through an entire 9-shot magazine without at least one failure to eject. (I think there was one failure in each of the first two magazines). I want to use it for close-up ground squirrel shooting, but I won't until I get this issue resolved. Until I do, I'll just use the .17 HMR barrel.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

·
Registered
307 Posts
FWIW, Ive never had a minuts problem out of my dual after hundreds & hundreds of rnds.. I been out of the scene for a while & had no idea Ruger discontiued the rifle though. Hum, sounds like a alloy problem.! Anyhow, the ole man set you straight.! good luck & happy hunting with your new rig..

Howler

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Ruger has cancelled & restarted the 10/22M 5 times over the history of the rifle.

Reportedly they can't get the perfect cycling on Every rifle that they want...which has been the hard part of .22Magnum semi-auto actions since they first tried to do it. When you look thru the history of Semi-auto .22WMR's, you find that there were less than a dozen prior to 2000.

AMT made one that stinks called the Automag II...unlike the other Automags, the Automag two had problems from the getgo and it never got any better. High Standard bought the rights to make the Automags, and has re-issued the AutomagII, but they didn't CHANGE the problem that was driving everyone nuts in the first place with it...those micro-chamber holes that were supposed to help extraction...don't after a magazine or two. It takes amazingly small amounts of crud to stop 'em up. Reportedly HS is looking for a cure...

Grendel made three pretty good ones (P-30/P-31/R-31)...but they got killed by Bill Clinton's Assault Weapons Ban. Went out of biz and the main guys who worked there went & formed Kel-Tec. But they've not put out a new .22WMR...probably something to do with patent rights...who knows?

Marlin made the 922...which from all reports worked well, but never sold well. So it was dropped from the lineup. I partially believe it was not helped by Marlin's weird number system & lack of advertising because nobody who was looking for a .22 WMR semi-auto at the time even heard of it until AFTER they stopped making them...the biggest ad for them was the News Flash that they weren't going to make them any more!! LOL

There are a couple more out there, but currently the only .22magnums that still sell well are the Bolt-actions & single-action revolvers & derringers...mostly because nobody can make one that works, then manage to Advertise it so that everyone KNOWS about it. Ruger being the most frustrating because they keep starting & stopping production on them.

There's a rumour that Ruger sold out the .22WMR stuff to Magnum Research...don't know if there's anything to that, I'd prefer to see some actual paperwork for proof :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered a Volquartsen bolt buffer and a Power Custom titanium extractor. I installed them last night and will get to the range before church on Sunday. I cleaned my chamber again, so hopefully I can get 100 rounds through the tube without any serious FTE problems. I'll let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Depending on the ammo used, one of the best 10-22M gurus around here recommended cleaning the chamber every 50 rounds or so. If however you are in the zone and can't take the time to clean the chamber, you can add a drop of oil and lubricate the chamber and get a few more shots out of it in the field. Try a different type of ammo for a few rounds and see if it functions better!

Another trick you can do to increase the effectiveness of the factory extractor is to put a spacer under the spring and plunger. The size of the plunger hole is .031 inch and a large framing nail is the exact size! Simply cut a small chunk of a nail off (about .030~.040) and drop it down the hole before the spring, plunger, and extractor. This effectively strengthens the extraction power of the hook. Even cures warts if you hold your mouth just right! LOL

Kidding aside though, the spacer will cure many extraction problems without resorting to an aftermarket extractor. Which by the way, comes with a longer plunger and a stronger spring!!! Funny how that works! :bthumb:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I installed a new Power Custom extractor and plunger spring. I scrubbed out the chamber again and headed for the range. I fired 61 shots, using 3 types of ammo. I had 1 failure to eject and 2 stovepipes. Not too bad. Progress anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Extraction Fix 10/22 WMH

This post is for the individuals that have extraction problems with 10/22 WMR rifles. About 3 months ago, I bought a Magnum Research 10/22 WMR rifle. The reviews on the rifle indicated that the owners really liked the 22 WMR and they accepted the fact that the rifle had extraction problems. In the first 850 rounds fired, in every 9 round clip, the rifle failed to extract the rounds 2 and 3 times in each clip. Although, the rifle seemed to be very well made, the extraction problem made the rifle a bad buy. To make a long story short, here is what, I did that corrected the extraction Problem:
1. I adjusted the tension on each clip to 1 1/2 turns.
2. Replaced the original extractor with a Volquartsen extractor, 20 bucks with shipping.
3. Stop using Hollow Point Ammunition, the rifle seems to like Full Jacketed ammunition better than the Hollow Point.
The result, after firing 150 rounds with Full Jacketed ammunition, only one extraction failure occurred. In my opinion, the operation of the gun is now a recommend buy. For what it is worth I hope this post helps 10/22 WMR owners, it took me 3 months of disliking, making adjustments, and $ to the gun to finally figure it out.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for resurrecting this thread from nearly 13 years ago. I managed to miss the original post and haven't seen this much BS in one place for a long time!

With apologies to the immediate previous response. Most of that info is pretty good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.