Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having "Built" two 10/22's from standard carbines and with a little bedding experience, I agreed to see what I could do to improve my buddy's 10/22T which has never been a good shooter.

The very first thing I discovered was that his "T" barrel seems to have an interior bulge or enlarged spot (about midway) where my patch slips by without much friction. This cannot be a good thing and, I'm sure, cannot be corrected. I believe that it must be a manufacturing defect.

Has anyone else seen this in any "T" or aftermarket barrel? Both of my GMs are perfect and outshoot his 10/22T by a good margin. I'm wondering, also, whether Ruger will replace the barrel since it was purchased new in 12/01.

I'm thinking that bedding or any other "tweaking" of this gun will not be meaningful until this barrel is replaced.

Ohcsim

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ledbetter,

So, hammer-forging is a completely different manufacturing method and not just a finish? If so, is it considered to be a generally superior method or a shortcut? Ruger seems to be alone in this as far as I know.

Another thing...I don't have any way to measure this but I think the chamber on his "T" barrel is not as tight. A sample round slips in/out a bit easier than on my GM and seems to have more play. Both barrels were squeeky-clean when I did this so I don't think I'm imagining it.

In any case, I'm going to advise my friend to contact Ruger and request a replacement. It can't hurt to ask and (if the answer is no) it might give him a reason to call Ken at WFM.

Ohcsim

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Roger,

Glad to hear you're happy with the "T", and, welcome to RFC. Its the finest forum for anything related to .22 rimfire (and some extracariculars :p ) that exists. The members are tops and the information/help is priceless. Please join the club.

Ohcsim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.