Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a like new, Ruger factory-10 shot magazine that is causing me problems. The first 4 shells will shoot from it fine, but the fifth shot will not come out of the magazine. :mad:

I have to take the magazine out of the rifle and un-jam the 5th cartridge. It is like the spring is not making that 5th shell "pop up" into place. Once this is cleared up, the rest of the shells in the magazine are cycling ok. Surely this can be fixed, can't it? What could be the problem? :confused:

Any advice out there from you knowledgeable 10-22 shooters would be appreciated. Needless to say, shooting only 4 shots and then stopping to clear a jam, is this taking the fun out of my shooting time. :eek:

·
6,261 Posts
You know, I had this problem with a couple of new magazines too. I took them apart, trimmed the rotor flush were the plastic is injected and then followed the magazine tuning instructions in the sticky. They seemed to work fine after that. If they still stick just tighten the spring one more "click" until they cycle ok.

·
6,261 Posts
Ignore the part about "binding" the rotor if you tighten it too much! :eek:

If you look at the design of the hex nut and magazine bolt you will see that the bolt has a step on it that prevents binding. A good test of this is to assemble the magazine WITHOUT the spring and tighten the bolt as much as you want. You will see that the rotor rotates freely regardless of the "bolt torque". :t

I hope you get the magazine staightened out. They are great designs, I am still using my original ones I bought in 1975!! :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
OldWolf said:
Ignore the part about "binding" the rotor if you tighten it too much! :eek:

If you look at the design of the hex nut and magazine bolt you will see that the bolt has a step on it that prevents binding. A good test of this is to assemble the magazine WITHOUT the spring and tighten the bolt as much as you want. You will see that the rotor rotates freely regardless of the "bolt torque". :t

I hope you get the magazine staightened out. They are great designs, I am still using my original ones I bought in 1975!! :D
I totally agree! I have 6 mags that I bought in 1967 that are still going strong. All I have ever done is clean them regularly with soapy water, lightly lube the spring, and adjust tension. Why buy new ones......? :1t

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I had a new 40th Anniversary clear mag like that. I just put it in an envelope and mailed it to Ruger. They mailed me a new one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.