Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys my friend has a really old Ruger 10/22 and I thought what happened when mine misfired was normal until his did. When I have a misfire, and I pull back the bolt, I have to reach in and use my fingernail to get the bullet out of the chamber. His pulls it out when you pull back the bolt. I am guessing my extractor is screwed up. By the way his gun is 100% stock. I do actually have a exact edge extractor laying around in a bag, but when I was looking at it, I have the slightest clue where it goes. If I could get some help that would be great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes it is on the bolt the outside facing you as you look at it inside the rifle, remove the bolt, The extractor is spring loaded on a rod, when you decompress the spring to get the extractor out beware the spring don't go bouncing accross your room;)before removing put a case under the extractor ans see how much room there is before it would touch, then when you replace it with a VQ you will see hardly no space, in tern means less stovepipes;)hopefully. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
'Gummed-Up' Extractor Plunger

Trooper,

From your description, I would expect that you have a 'gummed-up' extractor plunger and spring.....! ! :(
[Parts #B14, #B15, & #B16 on the diagram in your Manual]

Fix:

Put a squirt of a solvent [CLP, WD-40, Brake Cleaner] on the back of the extractor [on the front-outside face of the bolt], and work it vigorously with your finger 50 to 100 times; put another squirt of solvent on it and work it another 50 to 100 times. You are trying to flush out the crud that is gumming-up the extractor plunger, just behind the extractor.....! !

Ruger 10/22 Owner's Manual < < Link

10/22 Bolt Assembly < < Link

Good Luck.....! ! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
If thats the case, I would degreese it also, then a very small drop of remoil, or a small amount of powder grahite, I like the dry lube best, the oil tends to get gummy sometimes, i would think WD40 would not be good to use, attracts dust and grime. You might want to try other types of ammo also, you may have some dirty ammo that causes the build up quickly, I noticed Win X bullets were filthy, If its cheap its diry;) for the most part. I always shoot high quality ammo out of any gun I own, you owe it to your self. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.