Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ciao,

reading some post here about scopes, I had a look at exit pupil of some scopes made in differnt companies and with several prices.

I noticed that some expensiver scopes had smaller exit pupil than cheaper ones.

I undestood that the exit pupil is a measure of the quality of a scope and I think that they must pay to get higher quality...

the bigger exit pupil I had found belong to a Bushnell 4200 4-16-40AO (25mm-10mm)

Did I miss something?

Thanks, ciao Gian...

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I believe that your understanding of what an exit pupil is may be flawed. In my understanding, the exit pupil is calculated by dividing the aperture measurement by the power of magnification.

One reason that it is important is that the larger the exit pupil, to a point, the more light gathering ability the scope has. I say "to a point" because once you exceed the ability of your eye, which I believe happens around 7mm, then a larger exit pupil is not able to be utilized as much.

The lower power, bigger objective scopes are going to have the bigger exit puils. The variable power ones will vary with the magnification used.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Rotosan1980 said:
Ciao,

reading some post here about scopes, I had a look at exit pupil of some scopes made in differnt companies and with several prices.

I noticed that some expensiver scopes had smaller exit pupil than cheaper ones.

I undestood that the exit pupil is a measure of the quality of a scope and I think that they must pay to get higher quality...

the bigger exit pupil I had found belong to a Bushnell 4200 4-16-40AO (25mm-10mm)

Did I miss something?

Thanks, ciao Gian...
Your listing of Bushnells exit pupil size should be 2.5mm not 25mm. Take the objective and devide it by the magnification.

There is much more to the Exit Eye Pupil than meets the eye :D

The exit eye pupil is the size of the beam of rays (light) that exits the scopes eye-piece which can only be maximized when your eye is at the optimum eye relief. As Wolf said, there is only so much light your eye can take due to the size of your own pupil. Then you also have to take into consideration the quality of the lenses and construction because in the lower quality products there is light deflection or light loss as the light travels through the scope.

I also read articles that said with a larger the exit eye pupil, you have more play when moving from side to side without loosing the view. I also found this to be untrue becasue you can take 2 different scopes with the same advertisied exit eye pupil size and they will be completly different.

Personally I think the exit eye pupil size can only be used as a reference on lower quality optics. Obviously your not going to get as bright of a view out of a NCStar as you would out of a Bushnell Elite 4200 if they both are 3-9x40's with an exit eye pupil of 4.44 (on 9 power)...

Sometimes its almost better to read article pertaining to astronomy and telescopes to get a better explanaiton of certain optical terms.
I know this probably doesnt help alot but I personally dont think you can soley rely on the exit eye pupil size listed, only use it as a reference.

HD

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are right... I got lost a little bit... Surely the scope quality depends on the lenses's too. I had like a flash and I wrote some non-sences...
but I noticed that some scope presents a sort of black ring where the reticle is joint to. If you look inside a Simmons (for example you can see that either low and high magnification).
Instead Leupold does it just at high magnification, but just a little bit.
I noticed this phenomena in a Nikon Monarc 6,5-20x44 AO..
Do you understand wht I want to mean?

Thanks and sorry for the quite stupid question posted at the beginning.

I know that i must look inside the scope before to choose.

Ciao Gian...

·
Registered
375 Posts
WOLF ,
You are correct about the exit pupil and the amount of light that enters the eye. The number is 7mm.

HOOSIER,
That is a good explaination of exit pupil. I agree that you get what you pay for in terms of quality optics.

Guys,
I was the one that recently posted about exit pupil. On another posting. Sorry i wasn't more clear about the specs of scopes and exit pupils. My bad it was late and i should have been more clear.

OSOK II

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
osok II said:
Guys,
I was the one that recently posted about exit pupil. On another posting. Sorry i wasn't more clear about the specs of scopes and exit pupils. My bad it was late and i should have been more clear.

OSOK II
Yes, it's you. but it's not your fault if I misunderstood something getting lost..
You gave much importance to this exit pupil that I got excited and my mind started to fly :boohoo: :boohoo:.
I'm saying that because I have been choosing a scope for my future CZ Varmint. I want to get a good scope because I don't want to fill my home of useless "pipe or tube" (a scope looks like a pipe or tube) so I have been looking for Weaver V4-16x42 or Bushnell 3200-4200 (4-16x40 or 5-15x40). The minimum distance which you get parallax free is very important. Nikon is a good scope too but the minimum distance to get parallax free is 50y, in each model.

that's all.

Thanks, ciao Gian..

·
Registered
661 Posts
Rotosan1980 said:
You are right... I got lost a little bit... Surely the scope quality depends on the lenses's too. I had like a flash and I wrote some non-sences...
but I noticed that some scope presents a sort of black ring where the reticle is joint to. If you look inside a Simmons (for example you can see that either low and high magnification).
Instead Leupold does it just at high magnification, but just a little bit.
I noticed this phenomena in a Nikon Monarc 6,5-20x44 AO..
Do you understand wht I want to mean?

Thanks and sorry for the quite stupid question posted at the beginning.

I know that i must look inside the scope before to choose.

Ciao Gian...
There is no such thing as a stupid question so dont ever feel you cant ask a question if you want to know or learn something.

HD

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Rotosan1980, you are so right when you say that scope quality depends on the lenses. It depends on a host of other things, too.

As far as the exit pupil, that became extremely important to me when I was shooting in extreme low light conditions. I learned about the relationship of magnification to objective size to light gathering abilities. However, that being said, all scopes are not created equal even though technically the measurements are the same, and they should have the same light gathering ability. This is when the quality of the lenses and the coating becomes important.

If you test enough scopes, and not just a quick look, but sustained looking and how they behave after you have been looking through them for awhile, you generally find that the adage "you get what you pay for" really applies. I'm not saying that the most expensive is necessarily the best for everything, and there is a possibility that you can get by with a much cheaper than the best, depending on your purpose. But, you really need to experiment, and you cannot just base a decision on the specs.

It's not always easy to get a chance to look through all the scopes, I know. That's why most of us have a few scopes that we sell cheap or give away. They seemed like a good idea, but the reality was different than the spec sheets. Eventually you will settle on a few brands that you like and trust and have good experiences with. For instance, I grab just about any Sightron 36X that I find at a good price.

Don't be hasty in your decision, do the research and eventually you will find what you need. There is a lot of information on the internet about scopes, telescopes, spotting scopes and binoculars. Look around, teach yourself, and you will begin to get an understanding of why things are as they are :D

·
Registered
375 Posts
HOOSIER,
I agree. The only stupid question is the one not asked. If you want to know something ask.

ROTOSAN,
I get your delima"? spelling" . I went through the same thing a while back. I have a cz varmint 17hmr with a weaver v16. A 4-16 power scope with target dot reticle. I like it for the most part. Only thing is i would like more magnifatation when punching paper. It is pretty hard seeing .17 holes at 100 yards. Other then that minor gripe i like the setup. I just thought of something. Have you looked at Sightron scopes?From what i hear they are the same as weaver. I think you can save some money going to sightron. Try Whittakers or Ron hoen"? spelling" .They have good prices.

OSOK II

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I won't be hasty.. Look, to take a decision and to buy my CZ Lux I needed tweo years ... i don't think to be an hurry boy :D :D :D
Joking to part, I know that some things need time.
I have two scopes: a Sim 4-12x44 AO 44Mag that i use on my HW977

and a Leup VXII 6-18x40 AO that is use on my CZ.

I'm very satisfied with both. I gave to each one its proper work: Sim is good for air-rifle up 25-30 meters and VXII is good for my lux up 125 meters (CZ is limited, not the scope :p )

I saw Sightron scopes just after having red something here. But i don't like their looks :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I prefer Bushnell's line or Weaver's.. Weaver has a good T6x that our benchrester use in their competitions and are very satisfied with.

I'm afraid to wast my money buing a cheap scope without having the opportunity to try it before to buy. I bought my Leupold in USA saving almost 300 euro (360 USD) no bad.. half price..:eek:
;) ;) I know..

So I need to take my time to decide...

Ciao gian... :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.