Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a mint unfired Exemplar in 22LR earlier this year. The gun was made in 1979 and had been in a collection since. I mounted a Burris 3-12X PA scope and fired it for the first time today. Using Wolf Match ammo at 25 yards, the gun put all shots into a tiny ragged hole. I didn't get a chance to try 50 yards but am very pleased so far. Is this typical of the accuracy levels in these firearms? :bthumb:

·
Premium Member
9,159 Posts
These are about the best rimfires you can have for handgun silhouette. They will do 1 to 1.25" groups at 100 yards easily, with many sub-inch groups possible using match ammo.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I used to get 50 yard 5 shot groups in the .2's and .3's with my 10" model. At that time I had mounted a 20X Redfield target (rifle) scope on it. With the length of the scope, I could shoot it off of a front rest and rear bag with my arm extended and get proper eye relief (on that long scope) and a solid position with my head resting against the side of my shoulder. I have since added front and rear sling swivels and mounted a Burris PA 5X scope on it for field use. The swivels are flush mount QD so they can be quickly removed to shoot off of bags without interference. They are accurate, fun to shoot and a dynamite squirrel gun. As a squirrel gun, they do work well with standard eye relief rifle scopes by "locking" the heal of your thumb tightly under your cheek bone and holding the forearm (as you would a rifle) with your other hand. If that is confusing, envision aiming a very short rifle without a butt stock. It's much easier than trying to hold it out unsupported with a pistol scope, give it a try.

·
Registered
901 Posts
lotta rifles won't do this. matter of fact most won't.
Probably true, but it was at only 25 yards. I have a new scope on it and am going to test at 50 yards this week if the wind allows. I used to shoot at 50 with open sights and get about 0.3" to 0.5" groups, but I can't see any open sights any more and have to use scopes and red dots.....:(

Labguy

·
Registered
901 Posts
Probably true, but it was at only 25 yards. I have a new scope on it and am going to test at 50 yards this week if the wind allows. I used to shoot at 50 with open sights and get about 0.3" to 0.5" groups, but I can't see any open sights any more and have to use scopes and red dots.....:(

Labguy
Well, it ain't the winning target but I finally got a windless day and fired a few 50 yard groups with the Exemplar with a new scope on it.

Problem is, I had a very nice Burris 6x AO target scope with super-fine crosshairs on it before, but replaced that with a (cheap) 3x-9x AO Simmons scope. It didn't take long to discover that fat crosshairs on a quality gun won't let me (anyone) hold on a 0.5" dot at 50 yards. The **** crosshairs are bigger than the target...:(

The Burris is going back on the Exemplar today. One "decent" 50 yard target is below, but I know that gun will do much better with a good scope back on it.

50 Yards, cheap scope:

As a bonus, I also just recently acquired a new and unusual new target format for testing at 100 yards..:D
Reason for new target: That is my hand in the photo.........:mad:

Labguy
P.S.
That rip on the left hurts like hell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.