Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is very Important This is not a hep me thing!

The otherday I did ask for help on my .17 conversion well today I shot about 20 rounds to see if I helped any. I tryed differant types and brand of shells and it worked perfect with 20 grains. untill I loaded CCI'S WHEN I SQUEEZED THE TRIGGER ALL &*$% BROKE LOOSE!I recieved a face full of brass like I read on another thread here at RFC and just like him I am glade that I wear glasses! I truley think every one that shoots these conversions should were shooting glasses when pulling the trigger on one of these! one piece hit me in the forehead and drew blood. what if this happen to a left hand shooter?

Don

·
Registered
211 Posts
Are any manufactures making conversions for the 10-22 mag, or do people just use barrels for a 77-22? I have not seen any for the mag but only for the lr. i would think that these companies would be affraid of a lawsuit from the problems that some have had with these conversions if someone got badly hurt. That is probably why ruger has not made one yet.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes barrel for the 10/22 Magnum to 17HMR conversions are all over the net. Holepuncher It's good to read that you were wearing your glasses and your injury wasn't much worst. It was good doing business with you. Thank you.

Teaus
Sorry for the large pic.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rowdy said:
Holepuncher

I was wondering where you work in Graham TX??? Get down that way from time to time going to PK.
Rowdy I work at PK. North Texas Yamaha On the east side
I try to keep all the Seadoos running

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
necked CCI rimfire ammo

This is even more scary when you ARE a lefty. ANY of the necked rimfire ammo is prone to a casehead failure in a blowback action, MAGNUM OR HM2. It likes to hang up in the chamber a lot more, and leave the butt hangin' out, and the gun will fire even when the round is not completely chambered. The HMR, is especially wicked.
The use of Moly Fusion in all of your jacketed ammo's chambers/barrels, is a BIG help to this problem, but you must still ensure that the bolt is ALL THE WAY shut
They will go somewhere in the heighborhood of 100-120 rounds before this problem occurs, but I like to run a patch or two every few magazines, Moly Fusion treat my barrels, and I push on the charging handle to check for return to battery, as being left handed, it is easy to reach up there with my right hand to check. :t

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have worn glasses since I was 10 and always hated them for most things. They have saved me on several shootings though over the years. I have bought some old military ammo in '06 long ago for the brass, had more than a few rounds of reloads, that I might have loaded up a little to much for the cases and had them burn from the primer pocket half up the side of the cases.

Now the powder burn is nothing like the actual case and fragments holepuncher dealt with though. Its so fast your not going to get out of the way when ity happens either.

HP, I will try and stop by there next time in the area dude. You live at the lake? Been in the area there for many years? I grew up there back in the 60's and 70's. Funny how the older I get the smaller the world seems to get:)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So Skeeter you've hade this happen to you?
I never thought about that but it makes sense! just look after every round and make sure the bolt shut completly pushing the round all the way home. Thanks for that info. You say they will go a couple hundred rounds Man I've only put about 25 thru it! Anteaus and I were talking the otherday and he said the chamber could be to tight. Hey Cassings Up untill 6 years I did not need glasses and I shot .22's without them! Man just were some cool shades and the squirels will think your the Fonz.

No Rowdy I live in Graham i've been driving to the lake for about 10 years now.

Don

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Rowdy You may not ever have the problem Im having your gun looks to be about ten times better than the one I have! Man if you ever do get to the lake I sure would like to see that gun!!! I would proubly even pay addmission.

Don

·
Registered
526 Posts
Don

Made the drive everyday from the lake to Graham when I lived there. So what you have, 25 mile drive one way. The gas situation right now really is sad with how our Govt' lets this all go on.

I will be down there soon enough and will give you a hollar before I head that way. Let you put a paw on the new 22magnum.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've shot the CCI's out of mine and have had no problems with any of the barrels. on the clark barrel i flitz the barrel for hours and hours before i ever fired it.
yours is a .22 mag converted to 17hmr with a clark barrel correct?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
p7junkie said:
I've shot the CCI's out of mine and have had no problems with any of the barrels. on the clark barrel i flitz the barrel for hours and hours before i ever fired it.
yours is a .22 mag converted to 17hmr with a clark barrel correct?
No I have magnum research barrel

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune holepuncher. I hope it didn't mess your rifle up. Are you still going to leave it in HMR or go down a notch to 22mag, 17hm2, 17aug or return to normal 22lr? I'm working on them all right now and I may decide to ONLY use the MOA receiver for the mag conversion just for extra strength. These blowout scare me. I wouldn't mind if it killed me cause I'd die happy, but getting scrapnel embeded in my face would not be very pleasent AT ALL.

Anyways, I'm glade you made it out with out too much damage to yourself. I hope your gun survived.

Also, would you care to enlighten us on what mods you preformed and how. It might same someone else from making a similar mistake.

SWAMPF0X

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I called magnum Research and talkted to a guy I think in the costom shop he said they have had no problems whatsoever He also said something about mabey a bump in the chamber??? Anyway he said send it back and he would fire it on one of ther actions and also test fire a new one and ship it to me.. The only mods I've made is the buffer,extractor,hammer and sear. He also told me the Ruger is not supposed to fire if the bolt is any bit open???
What part of the rifle does this? sombody please explain and if so why did mine fire when this happened? He told me it is normal for the cases to be bulged. this i have rerad many times everywhere. but I would say I've only seen one out of four of my cases sligtly bulged and every now and then realy bulged

·
36,633 Posts
The part about a Ruger not firing with the bolt open is CRAP!!! Every 22 semi I have tried will fire with the bolt 1/4"or so open. Don't believe me. Go get your UNLOADED gun. Ruger, T/C, Marlin ....I don't care. Now cock the gun. Hold the bolt about a 1/4" open and pull the trigger. Feel that hammer hit? Most of you will say YES with a surprised look on your face. If not, hold it 1/8" inch open and do it again, NOW EVERYBODY felt it. That 1/8" is PLENTY to blow the head off a cartridge. Makes you want to keep your chamber clean now doesn't it.

My friend Skeeter says his trick 17m2 will do it if he doesn't wipe out the chamber....I'm pretty sure he said 150 to 200 shots. Folks, THEY ALL DO IT! For some reason the rimfires with shoulders AKA 17HMR and 17 M2 are more like likely to do it. WEAR YOUR GLASSES!!!! AND KEEP YOUR HAND OUT FROM UNDER THE MAGAZINE!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.