Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a few weeks now since I posted the story of the 16 year old deaf girl who discovered shooting and became enamored with it. Members of her family and family friends (me) decided to chip in and buy her a special rifle to encourage her. Meanwhile, she has been shooting my Savage mark II and it is remarkable what young eyes (maybe made even more acute by the handicap) and the concentration that comes from silence can do for a shooter!

Anyway, I came to rfc looking for help and advice on what to get her and quickly decided on a 452 American. The scope was a little harder but we settled on the rimfire Leupold 2-7x. azmbl22 genrously donated not only Leupold rings to the project, but lots and lots of advice on scope mounting, boresighting etc. JEE donated a Butler Creek scope cover and a sling. Many others helped with suggestions and encouragement and on behalf of Erica and her family I thank you all!

I also thank czusa who gave us a discount and hand picked a rifle. In the course of this project, I was bitten by the bug and ended up buying the same rifle and scope for myself. I practiced scope mounting on mine first then did hers. So here are some preliminary pics of Erica's rifle. She knows nothing of this and is being a foster home for a Savage mark II of mine which she shoots and cares for. The family is planning a little get together at which it will be presented to her. I'm sure she will be blown away :). Maybe soon I'll be posting some awesome groups from her. Thanks again to everyone!

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
It's a wonderful thing you're doing for that young girl. This could be the beginning of a life-long love affair with shooting and most of us here know about the pure joy of that.

Please have someone take pictures at the instant the rifle is given to her. They'll become family treasures.

·
Premium Member
58,719 Posts
This has been a heart warming story from the beginning nice to see it nearing completion, great thing you've done.:bthumb:

Gerald

·
X-Mod
19,560 Posts
Looks great!

I'll be looking forward to hearing about the big day, and yes, pics would be excellent. :t

Thanks again! :bthumb:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
All of those involved in this project are to be commended for this project. Working with the disabled in getting involved in shooting is rewarding - the memories of a person learning the sport are priceless. I'm sure this young lady will remember this for a long time.

Shooting sports are often not shown in a positive light by the press - I wish they could somehow 'get a clue' and realize that sport shooting is a great past time.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You did VERY well on that rig.:bthumb: Perfectly balanced outfit and one she will not likely outgrow.

About the only improvment I can think of is perhaps adding a thin, Black Old English butt pad at a latter date to reduce slippage over the plastic buttplate, although a bit of skate tape rubber cemented in the center will do the same thing...

She will give the guys she shoots with fits with that rig. It should be hard to out shoot her with such fine equipment..

I wish Eric every bit of luck with her new rifle...Please let her know that all of her freinds here at RFC want to know how she comes along with it.:D

We NEED presentation pics AND some groups.. perforated cans, etc etc...;)

·
Administrator
23,700 Posts
That is one fine looking rifle! :bthumb: And as others have said that scope is a perfect match. It even looks like azmbl22 hooked you up with the older style rings for the mounting (fit better than the new style, IMO). Great rig! Now I'm looking forward to pics of the look on her face at presentation :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It does look good but the problem is that the scope is as far back as it will possibly go to get eye relief. I seem to be getting a max of 3 inches of eye relief. As for pictures I will do my best. I mentioned that to her parents already and they were a bit leery about putting her picture on the big bad internet. Parents of deaf kids often become very overprotective. I think with time we can work something out. Her dad and I took her to the range where I shoot yesterday and she sot my Savage Mark II. One problem I hadn't anticipated was that even though she can't hear, she can feel the blast from a centerfire nearby. That bothered her because it is so unfamiliar and up to then she had only been shooting around rimfires. I think with time and as she becomes desensitized it won't matter much. There are places she can shoot where there will only be rimfires but the best range will often have centerfire shooters.

·
Administrator
23,700 Posts
It does look good but the problem is that the scope is as far back as it will possibly go to get eye relief.
It looks just like mine -- my scopes usually end up mounted with the back edge right on line with the bottom front edge of the rifle's wrist (hand grip). I see Leupold lists the eye relief on that scope as 3" to 3.8", so it is probably in just the right spot but might could go forward just a hair.

As for pictures I will do my best. I mentioned that to her parents already and they were a bit leery about putting her picture on the big bad internet.
Ah yes. Perfectly understandable.

One problem I hadn't anticipated was that even though she can't hear, she can feel the blast from a centerfire nearby. That bothered her because it is so unfamiliar and up to then she had only been shooting around rimfires. I think with time and as she becomes desensitized it won't matter much.
It still bothers me too :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.