Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Enter July 50Y Unlimited

677 21
1. From the front edge of the bench to the face of the target: 50 yards.

2. Weight: There is no limit on weight of the rifle or pistol.

3. Sights: There are no restrictions on scope power.

4. Iron sights with aperture rear and globe front may be used.

5. Diopter attachments may be used in iron sights.

6. Triggers may be adjusted to a light pull, but must be safe.

7. Ammunition must be Rimfire: .22 Magnum and .17 HMR are allowed.

8. Rests: Shoot over sandbags, shot bags, rice bags or any old bag. Use a tripod, bipod, a block of wood or a rock for your front rest. A bunny ear or rabbit ear sandbag is recommended for buttstock support. Shoot from a bench. Shoot prone with a sling or over sandbags. Shoot over a log or the hood of your pickup if you want. One piece rests are allowed. Rests must not be secured to the bench. If you can push the rifle forward after recoil, and the crosshairs are back on the aiming point, it is a “return to battery” rest, and return to battery rests are not allowed.

9. You may shoot up to four targets and report the best of the four.

10. You may shoot more than one rifle each month: Not more that four targets per rifle.

11. You may shoot on an indoor range from December to March. If you shoot indoors: For the December match, type (INDOORS) at the beginning of the third line of your score report.

12. Junior Shooters: The minimum age of a young person allowed in these competitions will be determined by the parent. A Junior shooter is a young persons who has not reached the age of 18. If your are a Junior: Type (Age 14): Or whatever your age, at the end of the first line of your score report.

13. If you have a screen name: Put that at the end of the first line: (*******)

14. 20 MINUTE TIME LIMIT----------------------------------------------
Format Example:
239-2x Jane Doe. Sullivan, Missouri (CrackShot)
Custom. B&L 6-24X. Lapua Midas L.
Hall action. Lilja barrel. Jewell trigger. McMillan stock.
Overcast sky. Gusts to 15 mph. Wind flags lied to me.
----------------------------------------------
Format Example:
241-4x John Doe. Rapid River, Michigan (YooperJohn) (Age 15)
Suhl 150. Weaver T-36 with 1/8” dot.
Factory barrel. McMillan stock.
Overcast sky. Gusts 10 to 15 mph. Wind flags lied to me

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I have a question

I went to see a friend that has a shooting path cut through a friends pine tree farm in east Texas and the conditions at times are very good. He uses it for testing and tuning guns. During certain times of the day , dawn and dusk, survery tape just hangs with no movement, hung along the 50 yard path. I was tuning guns shooting groups and got some sub .1 inch C2C groups at 50 yards during the testing. I thought about shooting a target for the on-line matches, but decided it would be very unfair and didn't do it.
What do you folks think?

Jim

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
autoloader
It is a 300+ mile trip and I will not be up that way soon. I shot all my BR guns and am basically happy with the results.
At the range I shoot at we always have a wind and the range is built over a land fill and without wind strange things happen.
Jim

·
Registered
166 Posts
Jim,

I have learned never to trust those dead calm conditions. Any change no matter how slight is out of the group. Plus you can get some strange mirage going on when it is still like that.

I would go ahead and shoot a target. There are gremlins lurking out there!

Let us know how you make out!

Good luck to you and Team Texas and all the others shooting this month!

Bill McIntyre

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Jim

Go for it. It is certainly within the rules. It is almost like saying that you can't go to the range and shoot for score when you have very calm conditions. Those are the days I look for, but almos never happen at my range. Anything under 10mph is good conditions at my range. :D

Earl

·
Registered
99 Posts
Jim, what part of those piney woods? I have 10 acres about 20 minutes north of Marshall that is covered in very tall pine trees. Gotta get 'em thinned out in the next four years so I can put a house and a range in when I retire.

I would've shot a target or two! :D

Jim B.
Odessa

·
Registered
72 Posts
50 yard Unlimited

226-1x Nicholas Kasbohm. Carney, Michigan (Kasbohmfirearms)
Anschutz 64MPS. FM 36x. Eley Black.
Don Stith Stock. Hoehn tunner 23 oz. Anschutz barrel. caldwell front rest.
Overcast sky with sun poking out once and a while. Wind 3-9 mph and 3-6-12 directions.

Graybeard, my range is cut through a swamp 100 yards. The swamp trees and there little leaves cause the wind todo some crazy things! For example today when I shot the wind flags were doing 360's! Then it would change 9 mph to 3 o-clock and then go dead calm with a switch to the 9 o-clock. I can't see why anyone would have a problem with anyone shooting at these kind of ranges. I am sure the same type of thing happens in the pine trees

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
50Y Unlimited - 540XR

238-4X, Richard Storms Deadwood, SD, (deadwooddick)
540XR, SK Rifle Match, T-36 w/ booster
Farley top on BR base, Protektor rear

Jeez, this rifle is sensitive to shooter input ! :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
241-5x William Crane, Glenolden, Pennsylvania (armabill)
Hall action, Lilja barrel with Hoehn tuner, Leupold 36 BR-D,
Eley Match EPS,
Bruno McMillan Edge stock, Jewell trigger,
FuddHam top rest, Caldwell Benchrest bottom
Edgewood rear bag

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Outdoors - 29.7.08

240-7x , Matt Korhonen - Australia [ MattK ]
Sako P94 , BR Stock , Walther Barrel , Jewell Trigger , T36 , SK Bulk ... Home made tuner .

I dropped 6 points when the ammo went supersonic 3 times ..
In fact all points were lost from ammo velocity variation ... Every time it sounded different , I got a POI change ..

I have the sako sorted out now , its glued in ! :D

Looks like poor inletting was the problem all along .... :eek:

Matt

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I shot this one early in the month & never posted it - thought I' get a better one. Never happened - I didn't get to shoot much at all & the couple of 50's I did shoot were worse, not better:mad: .

50 Yard Unlimited
241/7X Stan Gibbs Kingsland, TX (Claybuster)
Remington 40X - Weaver T45 - SK "Standard+" ammo
'60 40X Std barrel - Jewell 1.5 oz. trigger - Jones mid-barrel &
Fudd tuners - Factory 40XB stock pillar bedded & self-mod to BR
Pretty decent conditions - had a couple of ammo flyers:mad:

Here's one John shot week-end before last too:

50 Yard Unlimited
244/5X John Day Sunrise Beach, TX (mrfixit)
Hongisto Custom - Wever T36 - SK "Standard+" ammo
Win. 52D action - Border barrel - Hoehn tuner
"Kenyonized" 2 oz. trigger - McMillan BR stock
Self-scored & checked by Stan Gibbs

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.