Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
584 Posts
I do it.........

all the time, and I have had no problems. I don't mind an occasional dry fire, but if I am needing to snap a 22LR very much, I will use an empty. I did this recently after installing a brooks trigger kit in my CZ 452 trainer rifle and needed to thoroughly test the rifle afterward. I turn the brass after each snap so the firing pin will hit a fresh spot each time. I don't have any 22LR snap caps, but come to think of it, don't recall seeing any for sale anywhere. But the empty brass works well enough for me, there is no real need to try to find any.

· Registered
177 Posts
When you're through dryfiring empties, peek down the bore and you'll see a lot of burned primer residue that's been knocked into the barrel. Some of this stuff is abrasive. Can't hurt to patch it out before live firing. (Picked that up from another poster here. Who woulda thunk it?)

· Premium Member
3,162 Posts
jack i understand your concern, but if you are a responsible adult, know that its only a case in your gun and not a live round, and are like me and check everything out, i dont think using empty cases as snap caps or even the real snap caps is a danger. shotgunshooters are the most common snap cap users, as to store and o/u its best to have the hammers uncocked to relieve spring pressure. at least on the better guns.

i dont think all of us that dry fire run around pointing our guns at people/things we dont want to shoot...i normally aim at an outside wall. but i know there isnt a live round in the gun. i have to do this, its the only way i could get used to my biathlon baisc trigger. watch the muzzle and dry firing with or witout snap caps is plenty safe. I dont think theres reason to be alarmed...

· Premium Member
3,162 Posts
i agree...i hope no one takes my post offensively but i mean...come on if you see the empty case go in, or a snap cap, or NOTHING, you check the chamber, you know whats gonna happen *click* NOTHING.

plus i just plain get annoyed with people sometimes :)

· Registered
271 Posts
Conman said:
It is okay. Jack Ryan obviously has never adjusted a trigger..........
Something obvious to me, is a lot of people have shot themselves and shot other people playing around with "unloaded" guns, cleaning "unloaded" guns, and playing little jokes with "unloaded" guns.

Unloaded guns are just plain dangerous. IMO more dangerous than loaded guns that people know are loaded and therefore treat like they are loaded. My own personal policy is to NEVER have unloaded guns around my house. They are too dangerous.

I've adjusted my share of triggers. Do as ya'all please. Just please don't do it around me unless you are pointing at something besides me, ya'all don't mind shooting.

· Registered
225 Posts
Look at what A-Zoom & other makers of .22 "snap-caps" have to say about their products. While they're usually listed under "snap caps", if you'll read the fine print they claim to be dummy rounds, to be used to check function only. I think A-Zoom's are all aluminum- no real cushion for the firing pin. Some others are all plastic. Somewhere I even read a specific warning that a few snaps on a plastic model could ruin it.

I looked into this because I wanted to do some dry-firing in my new-to-me S&W 63. My conclusion? Save empty .22 brass, & rotate it in the chamber every couple of strikes, then use a new brass.

Also: *long* ago I read somewhere about drilling a tiny "bleed hole" in the bottom center of fired .22 LR brass, then filling the case with silicone rubber. the idea was that the resilient rubber in the rim would greatly prolong the useful life of the brass case as a snap cap. True? No idea, but it would be easy & cheap for someone to try. At its worst, it would still be equal to plain empty brass hulls!

But that post above about using wall anchors?! :t That might be one heckuva good idea, & cheap to try. Hmm...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.