Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading so many posts about the Ely Subsonic Extra I bought a box. Before going to the range I wiped about half the lube off with paper towels. They shot fine but there is no need for that much lube and the price was no bargain.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Tackey!

More waxey than greasy. Shoots very well in a couple of my Winchester sporters. I never had enough at any one time to try it for competition shooting, but it does the job on squirrels and groundsquirrels with the HP's. :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I live with the lube but..........

if it bothers you, a lot of people simply use a hairdryer on a box to melt the excess off the rounds and leave a nice even coating.

I'm told its much easier than wiping each round.

Regards,

English.

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
Whooeee, there English... :D

I can just hear some of the purists who will throw away a box of shells that has sit in a hot car for an hour! :D

...but then, I always enjoyed watching people squirm. My wife says I'm sadistic that way....

BWAHAHAHAHA

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yes, well...............

I wouldnt advocate taking them to use straight after you have done this! You need to prepare them ready in advance of when you want to use them.

Regards,

English.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I place mine in a preheated 500 degree oven to get rid of the wax. It sound just like popcorn. NOT!! I am new to the 22lr and was wondering what the coating on the rounds was. What is the reason for it?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Barrel Coating

The lubricant is designed to condition the bore for better accuracy. In match type guns it is desirable. In subsonic ammo that is to be used for other purposes the fat picks up dirt and makes for a mess. This ammo will not fare well in my pocket for a days hunting. I would not want this dirt magnet in a self defense pistol either. The lube is ok where the ammo can be used from a clean bench or table. Would rather see a CCI dry wax coating for general purpose ammo.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
With very few exceptions, all quality match ammo has a greasy lube like Eley. Happy Gardner is right that the lube is made for competition and not for hunting, etc. What I do is this: For competition, I shoot the greasy stuff, because it is really the only choice if you want to have a chance of winning, plus it's no problem in a match. For hunting, informal targets, and plinking, I use whatever I can find in dry ammo that will shoot well in the rifle at hand. Besides, most hunting rifles won't shoot the match ammo any better than Dynapoints, MiniMags, or Powerpoints.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.