Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I target practice (and shoot the occasional groundhog) in our back yard. There is about a 15 - 20 foot drop from our shooting position on our back patio to the pasture where the 50 yard and 100 yard targets are (the 50 and 100 yard targets are approximately the same elevation).

So, if I'm zeroed in at 50 or 100 yards, with a 20 ft drop in elevation from shooting position to target, what is the net effect when shooting level?

A few inches or a few tenths?

I typically use Dynapoints and Wolf MT.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Change in POI

running boar said:
At a 100 yards quite a bit, when you shoot down hill or up hill gravity doesn't effect the projectile the same as if you are shooting level. If you zero your rifle level at 100yds and then shoot at a sharp angle down hill your POI will be several inchs higher, the same up hill.
+1

Dang, I seem to be agreeing with Chris all day today?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks OldSwede. That is a very good explanation. So, shooting uphill or downhill will result in a higher POI. Therefore, if I am zeroed in on a downhill slope, then I will be shooting low when shooting level.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.