Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am thinking that I am going to buy a used 10/22 and convert to 17 HM2. I have been looking at the E. Arthur Brown conversion here:

http://www.eabco.com/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?preadd=action&key=127-172

I plan to hunt for squirrels and turkeys (it's legal in VA) with it. However, I am also interested in the carbon fiber barrel, as it is advertised as being light.

http://www.eabco.com/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?preadd=action&key=127-176

I plan on using this as a field gun, so I need something light and that I can hold offhand.

Does anyone have any reviews of these two products? Most importantly, was the conversion an easy, right out of the box, install? Have many people had good dealings with them? Are there alternatives that come more highly recommended?

I have done some tinkering (e.g. trigger job, stoned hammer), and customized my 10/22 with a (stock and scope which was a piece of cake). I plan to do some other fun stuff like jeweling my bolt. So can I pretty easily do this install?

Thanks for the help. I got such a sense of accomplishment from stoning the hammer and polishing the action. I would NEVER have done it without the help from the people here who made it possible.

Best,

Jackie Treehorn

P.S. - Any experience with their Accuracy Firing Pin?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Eabco

I bought the EABCO kit and it shot pretty well. I had no failures of any kind. I have since replaced the EABCO blue steel barrel (Shaw I think) with a Volquartsen carbon fiber barrel which improved the accuracy. I'd try to find out who makes the CF barrels for the EABCO kit before I bought one. All CF barrels are not created equal! If it's a Butler Creek, I'd avoid it. Just my 2 cents worth.

DRob

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I have the carbon one from EABCO and it shoot really good.Very light weight.13 oz if I remember right.Holds great groups and no malfunctions at all.I'm using the magnam hammer spring,bolt spring and handle.Didn't like the looks of the big beer keg handle. Slow.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I bought the shaw kit from stocky's. I ordered a blued and they sent a silver one. I hope it's not in the white. I am not sure of the accuracy yet. My airgun scope may not be up to the heavier recoil of the weighted handle. I also feel sharpness when I rub the muzzle with my finger. I'm not sure of the crown. I'll get three shots in an inch at 100yds and then the group moves 1-1/2". Sounds like a scope issue to me. I saw my weaver v16 was rated well for high recoiling air rifles so I may take it off the .270 to try it. I have a new meuller but don't know if it can handle the recoil.
The barrel and bolt handle go in easy if your stock is inletted for heavy barrels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.