Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is this done? I have heard that some people use that Rit clothing dye, but I can't recall the specifics. Wanted to get a couple of clear mags and dye them different colors so I could load them with different ammo types and remember what's in them :bthumb:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Its really very simple. Just disassemble the magazine, follow the directions on the Rit Dye, and whamo...you have a different colored mag.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Ones that look like this?

Take a 2 quart pot with about 1 to 1 1/2 qtrs of water and bring it just to a boil.
Add one table spoons of RIT dye and one table spoon of salt.
Remove pot from heat and add your disassembled plastic parts.

Takes about 4-5 minute for color to soak in. Check progress as you go. Long time equals darker color. Rinse parts with water and dry. You can re-dye the part if they are not as dark as you want.

FYI, this dye will add color to a white sink. Be sure your wife is not home and that you have bleach on hand to clean up the mess. :bthumb:

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's a great idea. I just bought a bunch of clear mags the other day and wouldn't mind coloring some of them for different ammo. I was thinking just adding an adhesive dot on the bottom until I saw this thread.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Will this method work on non-clear plastic??

I've got some CMMG 22 AR conversion mags that are grey and it would be nice to turn them black without worrying about paint flaking off.
It should. I have dyed all kinds of plastic.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well I dont know what I did wrong but I had ZERO luck with this.

I used the liquid dye, not sure if that had anything to do with it. The first attempt was complete failure so I added more dye. In the end I had used the entire bottle. When I took the parts out after a 10min soak there were specks and uneven coloring I quickly rinsed the pieces as to not do permanent damage.

So what am I doing wrong? Water was boiling parts were clean (clear plastic Ruger mag). Should I let them sit and dry after I take them out? Should I rinse them? Should I use the powder RIT dye?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Well I dont know what I did wrong but I had ZERO luck with this.

I used the liquid dye, not sure if that had anything to do with it. The first attempt was complete failure so I added more dye. In the end I had used the entire bottle. When I took the parts out after a 10min soak there were specks and uneven coloring I quickly rinsed the pieces as to not do permanent damage.

So what am I doing wrong? Water was boiling parts were clean (clear plastic Ruger mag). Should I let them sit and dry after I take them out? Should I rinse them? Should I use the powder RIT dye?
Use the method, materials and directions Apex gives in post #3 of this thread. have done it a few times with red, orange, green and blue. No issues at all. important to be sure the mags are 110% clean before being immersed. I disassembled them and used brake cleaner to get rid of any & all oily residue. Dried them off well and then, followed Apex's direction. Worked perfectly

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.