Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my patchworm and it great! well my question is this...when i run dry patches through the bore will i need to resight-in? when i clean with solvents i never have the same point of impact on the first shot. will that happen when i run dry patches??? thanks!!!
-mwm

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RICOCHET said:
MWM, cant answer your que, but you may have something there. first shot fliers ??
will keep your theory in mind next time i clean with a wet patch. maybe i'll stop cleaning, lol.
i give my guns a good cleaning before eech time i go out to the range... when i go to the range with both big or little bore i put the first round in the dirt...i didnt do this before but once i did i noticed that my shots were more consistant first shot to last.
-mwm

·
Registered
40 Posts
mwm0816 said:
i just got my patchworm and it great! well my question is this...when i run dry patches through the bore will i need to resight-in? when i clean with solvents i never have the same point of impact on the first shot. will that happen when i run dry patches??? thanks!!!
-mwm
Well I myself, do the whole anal solvent patch/brass brush process. Even if only one shots fired, but my point of impact never changes. Well sort of. See with Outers Bore oil that I was using cause it came in a cleaning kit would take 2-3 shots to clean that oil out of the bore after those 2-3 cleaning shots it was perfect zero once again. Then when I ran out I started using Mobil 1, 10w-30, takes ten shots to return to zero, so now before I go to the range, or shoot something I run a patch with rubbing alcohol throught the bore, then a dry patch, that way it's back to a perfect zero. I believe the oil itself can change the accuracy, but once it burns off or blows out there's not a problem.

What's the advantage of dry cleaning anyway?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mwm0816 said:
-mwm
what i mean is my first few shots...if i clean the gun it takes a few rounds before it has the same point of impact as it did before solvent cleaning. will my point of impact change from running dry patches instead of wet?
-mwm

·
Registered
40 Posts
running boar said:
That is a new one, why did you use 10w-30 to lube your rifle?
It's what was there at the time lol. Leftover from a mower, normally it's 5w-30 cause that's what I put in my cars. Not for any perticular reason. It protects well, and holds up over time. Only down side is having to run a patch down the bore to have 1st shot accuracy.

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
why clean your bores i never clean mine on 22lr got about 1500 rds out of my clark and just shot .360 ave with dyna points at 50 yds. 3x10 shot groups tonight at the local public range. only ever clean the action. this is only on lr i clean guns that shoot jacketed bullets as you normally except no brushes only patches. keep :snipersmi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.