Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Dry fire - Snap-Caps

614 11
I'm going to pick up my Model 41, today that I just bought.

It will be a few days before I will be able to get to a range, and I just want to pull the trigger a few times - "dry fire".

The other day, when I was in a gun shop picked up some 'snap-caps' the aluminum blue ones.

When I got home and put my glasses on! read that they were not to be used for dry fire. So I'll be returning them. I didn't see any other snap-caps around. I must admit I thought there was only one kind, so once I spotted them on the hook I just picked them up and bought them.

Are there snap-caps specifically for dry fire? what's the difference? I would think that the one's I bought WOULD work, they are aluminum - seems soft enough not to damage the hammer.

???
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also have a package of the blue aluminum dummy rounds, and they're okay for dry firing. I think the warning on the package is to prevent the customer from returning the deformed (used) caps as defective. I am not aware of purpose-built snap caps for rimfire - at least none that aren't flattened by the firing pin.

Please note that the dummy rounds will get damaged by the firing pin with every "shot". I've found that rotating the round in the magazine to present a fresh section of aluminum helps make them last a while longer. So far, I've gotten a dozen hits on each round before they look pretty beaten up.

·
Registered
14,945 Posts
Hey, don't dry fire that gun! or I'll have to drive up to Connecticut!
I have a few flavors of 22 snap caps,some that are made from actual cartridges and painted green,(base has a hole drilled in it) and a few types of plastic ones.None last long.If you must dry fire,empty shell casings,reinserted to virgin hit zones frequently,are as good as anything.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I also have a package of the blue aluminum dummy rounds, and they're okay for dry firing. I think the warning on the package is to prevent the customer from returning the deformed (used) caps as defective. I am not aware of purpose-built snap caps for rimfire - at least none that aren't flattened by the firing pin.
Yup. I never dry fire my firearms and I love the blue aluminum snap caps. Yes, since it's a rimfire, there isn't any way to keep from using the snap caps up. I can usually comfortably get 10 "shots" or so out of each one before I'm not comfortable using them. I remember laughing about the warning on the bag. It is literally like "don't actually use these" type thing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Tipton makes little plastic ones for dry-firing: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=360209&t=11082005

The too get eaten up, but like has been said previously: you rotate them. I use them all the time on my semi-autos because I don't like putting them away in a cocked state, nor do I like dry-firing without some sort of protection. (I really don't care on center-fires. The CZ-52 can be damaged by dry-firing, but I replaced the firing pin on it anyhow with one that isn't damaged by dry-firing).

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I've heard of people using correctly-sized drywall anchors as snap caps in a .22, there is apparently a size that fits quite nicely in the chamber, and the rim is very close to a perfect fit. Not sure which size it was, but I saw it on this forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.