Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1022 seems to have a bit of barrel droop, I have heard this is a common problem with them, and for now I have just placed a shim below the rear of the rail to avoid using all the adjustment up when zeroing.
What are other 1022 owners thoughts and experiences on this :confused:

I ask because I wish to replace the standard barrel in the near future with a match barrel.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Plenty of others know more about the 10/22 than me around here. But rather than barrel droop, chances are you have the infamous receiver hump. The cast receiver on a good many 10/22's has a bit of a hump in the casting right where the scope rail mounts. Look in the 10/22 tips and tricks section or search the archives on the hump problem for more info about what to do for it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will have a look, I had heard of the 1022 having a hump before somewhere, I thought they meant it could be as temperamental as a camel.............. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
291 Posts
If your barrel is in fact "drooping" you could put a piece of soda can or such under the barrel near the front of the barrel channel.

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
It is easy to find what it is and really either problem is easy to fix. I do NOT recommend shimming the scope mount, because you are putting stress on a part that is designed to be bolted flat.

Just take the mount off, wipe it off and hold a straight edge to the top of the receiver. If the hump is there, you will find it. Just FYI for all the press this problem gets here I have never had one.

If it is barrel droop, it is also easy to tell. If the barrel fits loosely into the reciever, it is probably the problem. If you barely tighten the screws and shoot it, then snug them up real good and the POI changes dramatically, that is barrel droop. The soda can strip is a good temporary fix and if you have no intention of taking it apart ever (HAAA ha ha ha!!!) you could make it a permanent solution. Just tear a piece off about 1/2" square (maybe a bit smaller) and fit it between the barrel lug and the receiver extention - NOT into the receiver. This will prop it up some.

Don't over tighten the V/Block screws. What I have found for a permanent solution is the Gunsmither Block. It is not a V/block but a flat block with a small set screw in it. I use one on every 10/22 I have that is a loose fit. It solves the problem and it is a very well designed and made piece.

While you are at it, check and make sure that your action screw is not too long. I check that on every gun now and they usually are. It's a good time to check and be rid of that problem while you are at it. Dakotan sells some first class replacement screws.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've got a case of the droops also (good thing my wife's out of town - whoops off track:D ). Anyway, I don't have the reciever bump, the barrel (18" GM) fits snug, but it shoots about 10" low @ 25 yards. If you have access to Burris Sig Zee rings with eccentric inserts, is there any reason to correct this problem with a Gunsmither type V block instead? I like his design but am not too crazy about filing in the barrel. I’d be more inclined to get a Koenig block, install a set screw, and relieve/take off the top ear. But can a setscrew right at the reciever offset all that weight?

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
Hmmmm.... interesting. If you don't have the receiver hump and the barrel is snug, I am curious where the problem actually is. No use trying to fix it until you know what it is. Try the soda can strip first and see what that does for you. If that fixes it, then you know. If not, it might be in the receiver or mount.

As far as filing the barrel - it really is no big deal. You just have to make sure it is straight. You are taking off very little material and it will still take a V block just fine if you wanted to. And yes that little set screw will offset the droop. It has done so for two of mine. I do have to use loctite on the set screw to keep it from slipping, but it stays put after that.

You could also try some forward pad or bughole tuner type correction if your stock will allow it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.