Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, fellow rimfire folk. I just acquired a like-new Browning BL-22. As there is no adjustment for windage, I want to be prepared to "drift" the rear sight at the range, if necessary. Outside of a protective surface under the rifle, and a mallet, what can I use to pop that sucker over just a wee bit? Do I need a special "convincer", or can I use something from my hardware store? I'm definitely assuming that a screwdriver is the wrong tool to use! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chuck:confused:

·
Registered
172 Posts
NO STEEL

definately not a screwdriver. I used a small brass drift on a Remington 511 front sight. Other good choices would be delrin,nylon,some kind of high impact plastic or even a piece of hardwood dowel if its not too stubborn. They can be hard to get started,but once they start they usually go easy.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Loose Dovetails

Hotguts,

There are several ways to 'tighten' a loose fitting dovetail:

1. Add a thin shim under the male dovetail. This maybe a strip cut from a soda can...! ! ;)
2. Lightly 'stipple' the bottom of the male dovetail; this is usually done with a prick punch; the little dimples act the same as the shim in #1..
3. Peen the edges of the female dovetail 'ever-so-slightly'.

Remember: dovetail cuts 'tighten' as you move right to left...! ! :)

Hope this helps...! ! :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for the info BigMike. I didn't realize that dovetails 'tighten' as you move to the left.

It never ceases to amaze me the wealth of experience and information available here at RFC.

Thanks again.

Jordan

·
Registered
1 Posts
sight pushing

Didn't Williams make a sight pusher? If they are still around they were real handy and more precise than a hammer and drift. As i remember, aint it rough getting old, they fit more than just williams sights??????????

MS

·
Registered
45 Posts
Loose dovetails

BigMike,

Many thanks for the advice. I'll try option 2. By the way, the dovetail on my Sentinel gets looser going right to left and tighter going the other way. I can't push the sight all the way out to the right but can easily do so to the left.

h.

·
Registered
132 Posts
sight drifting hint

Before attempting to drift your sight, make a small witness mark on the sight and the barrel with a sharp pencil. This will allow you to monitor how far you've moved it, and the pencil mark wipes right off.

Doug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.