Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dream Scope < $250.00 ????

Sorry for the repeat of the countless "what scope do I buy" thread, but I have some different requirements than some of the other members and I didn't want to hijack anyone elses thread. That being said, here is my question...

I'm looking for a < $250 good quality scope that is a fixed 10X or vari 3-9 with a 40 or 44mm objective. I'd like it to have mil dots, a matte finish and most important adjustment knobs that are ready accessible (ala Leupy Mk4).
Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've thought about the Bushnell Elite 3200 tactical, price is right just not sure if it is "too much" scope for a 18" HB 10/22 plinker that I want to use as a platform to relearn marksmenship and transition back to .308.

In a perfect world, I'll have both rifles eventually and want both to operate the same (minus the obvious differences in caliber, action and gulp - cost)

I anticipate using the .22 to shoot stationary targets from 25-125 yards.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Frank :)

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
http://theopticzone.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=41

The Bushnell Elite 3200 would be a great scope for the money and serve your purpose well.

If you want a better scope, you can buy a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40mm there as well for I believe $259. I have this same scope and in my opinion they don't get much better than this. If you buy the Bushnell, you can get a coupon to get a huge duffel bag for $15.

Brad

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I agree with Brad, the Bushnell would make a good choice. But I also think a Nikon might be a better choice. I didn't see the Monarch with the mil-dot reticle you wanted, but they do offer a Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 which has a mil-dot reticle and is matte. It also has side focus rather than an AO and its $245. I looked at a 6X18 Buckmaster the other day and was impressed with its clarity, reminded me of the Monarch 3X9X40 I used to have on a 30.06. Best of luck which ever you choose!

Dave Z.

Edited to add: I almost forgot, keep in mind the Bushnell doesn't have an adjustable objective and will have the parallax set to 100 yards which can make shooting at shorter distances tougher.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Dave,

I might add that the new Nikon Buckmaster series scopes have been upgraded from the older scopes that used to have 88% light transmission to now on the newer scopes to have 92% light transmission. So they aren't too far off from the Nikon Monarchs. Either of these scopes will impress the hell out of even the worse scope fanatics.

Brad

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the awesome suggestions guys. That nikon sure looks sweet. Can you tell from the write up does the side focus allow parrallax adjustment for closer range plinking? Also do you think that we can get a sunshade for it, and are the elevation and windage knobs hand turnable, or do I have to take off covers and use a screw driver?

Coyote sent me a PM suggesting the SWFA super sniper 10X-40. That looks awesome but SWFA's website is down and I can't find a price. Anyone have any experience with those? From what I briefly read this AM it is a Tasco scope that is rebranded by SWFA?

Thanks for all the replies and the suggestions. I'm heading over to Nikon to get some more info on the Buckmaster. :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, did a bit of investigation and was able to answer some questions for myself. I'm posting them in case anyone else needs the info.

1. Still not sure but it seems that the sidefocus will allow close range shooting without parrallax.

2. Nikon does indeed make a sunshade for this scope - #8053

3. Scope has caps that cover hand turnable adjustment knobs. Not sure if scope is still waterproof(water resistant?) with caps removed. Mil dot system should help to offset needing to adjust on the fly in the field.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
FPNunes said:
Okay, did a bit of investigation and was able to answer some questions for myself. I'm posting them in case anyone else needs the info.

1. Still not sure but it seems that the sidefocus will allow close range shooting without parrallax.

2. Nikon does indeed make a sunshade for this scope - #8053

3. Scope has caps that cover hand turnable adjustment knobs. Not sure if scope is still waterproof(water resistant?) with caps removed. Mil dot system should help to offset needing to adjust on the fly in the field.
Just buy the scope. I'll guarantee you will be more than tickled pink!

Brad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.