Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've searched and haven’t found anything specific so I'll ask directly. I am in the market for a new "do all" dot for a "do all" pistol. Specifically, I'd like to get something that has a large enough aperture and dot size for quick acquisition/action shooting but also something that has the ability to throw a small/precise dot when needed /wanted for bulls eye/silhouette. I'm thinking along the lines of a 30-40MM tube or holographic sight with multiple reticules that start out with a 2 or 3 min dot/post and a 6 min dot/large crosshair. (Like a Bushnell trophy 4 rectical but with a larger tube.) Compact size is a plus but not a requirement. Since this will be a "now and then" toy, I'm hoping to keep the price between $80 and $200 (tops).
So far, I'm not seeing something that is "perfect" in brands I recognize. (Most of the Chinese/ knock off stuff I see doesn't even list dot sizes at all!)
Suggestions and experience welcome!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ultadot has a excellent reputation among bullseye shooters.
Reliable and repeatable settings.
Use the search engine on this site to find positive comments.

I have tried most of the red dots available and have concluded that Aimpoint and Ultradot are the absolute best bang for the money.

The Aimpont is some what pricey which is why the Ultradot gets my vote for best all around.

What is important to me is a nice tight dot with little blooming effect as you increase the brightness level. Both of the above do that for me.

http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradot_dist_2008_002.htm

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. I actually am familiar with Ultra dot quality as I had one on my Gallery gun until I switched over to a Leupold-Gilmore 2 min.
I had looked at the ultra Dot 4 and wrote it off as having dot sizes that are too big. However, I overlooked the Ultra dot Match and that one might be just right. Is Larries still the sole distributer or are there other /cheaper alternatives?

·
Registered
248 Posts
For years I've had an older Tasco ProPoint 5 that is 45mm in size with multiple sized dots. For getting a quick sight picture it's the best I've ever seen. I replaced it with an Ultradot for my 22LR pistol target work, but then quick sight pictures are not needed in that game. My son has an Optima on his 45, nice but too small. There are a few larger diameter Red Dots but their harder to find. I'd recommend 40mm or larger but brand wise it's a hard call.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey Tacoma,

I've got an Ultradot Match that's about four months old... and could send it to a new home if you're interested.

I bought it for the 10/22, but even at the 2MOA dot it's a bit big for 50M shooting.

If you're interested, let me know?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.