Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my new VQ barrels for both guns... and they come with a tag saying to not use a barrel brush... what gives? I am a newbie to the "Ultimate" scene, but have been a long time shooter and a gunshop employee... never heard of this.... :confused:

·
Banned
5,934 Posts
Yep, that is something that Volquartsen and I don't agree on. They say if you use a brush it voids their warranty on the barrel. I say that is hogwash. Not only are they wrong, but that to me is senseless. All good barrels need a good brushing every now and then. I use one on my Cooper which has a Wilson Arms barrel and Cooper's manual even says to use nylon or brass brush.

Brad

·
37,366 Posts
I have three centerfires that consistantly shoot around 1/2" @ 100. I've owned all three for many years and they get cleaned with a brush EVERY time they get shot. Having said that if I owned a VQ barrel that carried that warning I would follow it. I would have to think they have their reasons for such a warning. I just worry that they do it because they don't trust us to properly use a rod and brush. With the Otis system you can brush the barrel with out even using a rod. Maybe they are just trying to protect us from ourselves as it were :rolleyes: Remember that most of their barrels end up on 10/22 or their clones that are usually cleaned from the muzzle and many barrels have been ruined by misuse of RODS cleaning from the muzzle.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vincent said:
Remember that most of their barrels end up on 10/22 or their clones that are usually cleaned from the muzzle and many barrels have been ruined by misuse of RODS cleaning from the muzzle.
Point well taken... I generally use a boresnake... but with the brushes still intact... and always from the receiver to the barrel... I guess I will have to evaluate the amount of maintainence I need after the first shoot... I also use the Wolf Match in all my target guns...

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
I think that is VQ's reasoning - that more barrels get ruined because of over cleaning or poor technique than shooting them out. The way see it is if I NEED a brush, I use one. If a wet patch and 2 dry patches cleans it, why bother??

That is one thing I have noticed with all these different .22 barrels, that the most accurate ones clean up really easily. Someone will pipe in here pretty soon that they never clean their .22 barrels at all.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My VQ CF barrel did not come with such a warning. That being said, I clean mine about every 2K rounds. She still shoots .5 @100 easily. I use a full bore-snake with brushes. I think the warning is really for those people who like to ram a rod in there and don't really know what they are doing.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Vincent said:
Remember that most of their barrels end up on 10/22 or their clones that are usually cleaned from the muzzle and many barrels have been ruined by misuse of RODS cleaning from the muzzle.
Yep, especially those jointed aluminum rods that can carry a piece of embedded grit in the rod itself! :eek:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also have a new VQ barrel and noticed the "don't use brush" warning. So I bought a PatchWorm. It works like a champ. You shouldn't get a lot of fouling if you use good ammo and clean your barrel regularly.

Also, don't forget you aren't supposed to use CCI Blazer ammo either. At least not with mine anyway. Good thing I only bought one box of 50 to test out.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You have to realize too that the rods for 22's are almost the same diameter as the bore as are the threaded ends on the brushes. My Volquartsen rifles came with a coated steel cable with an attachement on the end for the patch.

·
Premium Member
13,556 Posts
MKnarr:

No flames intended, but I have to disagree with your (and some others) statement that it is necessary to pull the Patchworm nylon string absolutely straight out of the muzzle of your rifle. Are you concerned that the nylon will pick up abrasives and cut into the rifling or crown? I've got to approach that concern with a healthy dose of skepticism. Can't imagine that the string, at about 1.0 fps, is going to cause any problems with the barrel. Could you damage the barrel with a nylon string impregnated with abrasives if you deliberately tried, going back and forth over the same area repeatedly for a long time? Probably. All said, I guess I've got bigger things to worry about.

All just my HO, which is worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Sounds like malarky to me. How could a brass brush with a plastic coated rod used properly, damage a bore more than extremely hot gasses, and abraision caused by jacketed bullets screaming down the bore @ 2000+ fps?.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ice said:
caused by a jacketed bullet screaming down the bore @ 2000+ fps?.
Any match ammo that I have seen has been lead only... no copper...

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
Vino - what's this about no Blazer ammo????
I just started using that last year and it has quickly become my plinking ammo of choice... it is accurate in all but one gun I have tried it in.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it isnt Blazer ammo... at least not on my warning card... they specify CCI Stinger ammo....

·
Registered
671 Posts
For whatever it is worth my OWNERS INSTRUCTION booklet that came with my Savage/Anschutz Match 64 reads in part as follows>"Do not use any kind of bore brush in the highly polished bore of your Savage/Anschutz rifle."
So I do not. My Winchester manual calls for use of brushes as necessary but
I use it very sparingly preferring to use wet and dry patches.
/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.