Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont try this period! I just got home from work tonight and I get a phone call. It was a local gunsmith, good friend of the family, Ive known him for about thirty years. He ask me if I had any factory 10-22 barrels laying around I'd part with. I told him I did and asked why? He tells me someone brought in a 10-22 today claiming it wouldnt shoot. And when it did shoot the cases would come out split, and it sounded really loud. He said he asked them when it started this? And they said right after their friend worked on it. He asked what the friend did and he was told, They made it so it would shoot .22 magnums! When he asked how they did that, the answer he got was, they used a drill bit the same diameter of the chamber and just drilled it deeper so a magnum would go in it!

I told him he needed to refuse to fix it, because this person does'nt need to be handling firearms. It scares me to think people would really try something like this. Dont they realize they are taking their life in their hands? He's probly lucky he didnt put a magnum in there!

·
36,633 Posts
As bad as this is any gunsmith that has been in business very long would have more than one story like this. If I was this guys smith I'd fit a new barrel, charge the guy enough so that there is some pain involved, and explain to him how close he came to eating the bolt from the 10/22. Explain to him the next time his "Friend" has any bright ideas to come in and ask about it. That way you have a loyal customer, you make some money and you feel like you might have prevented some future experiment.

Then you tell all your friends that if you see this guy at the range it might be worth while to stay a few benches away!! :D

·
Registered
555 Posts
Stupid stunts like this are the reason I will just pass on some used guns that don't look "right" to me. It's also why I stopped buying reloads and started reloading my own. A case head rupture that splits the grip panel of your semi-auto 9mm in half will get your attention!:yikes:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Vincent said:
As bad as this is any gunsmith that has been in business very long would have more than one story like this. If I was this guys smith I'd fit a new barrel, charge the guy enough so that there is some pain involved, and explain to him how close he came to eating the bolt from the 10/22. Explain to him the next time his "Friend" has any bright ideas to come in and ask about it. That way you have a loyal customer, you make some money and you feel like you might have prevented some future experiment.

Then you tell all your friends that if you see this guy at the range it might be worth while to stay a few benches away!! :D
+1

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He replaced the barrel, tested it and check it over good and cleaned it. He charged him $75 to replace the barrel and $25 to clean it and test it. He did give him a 20min speech on firearms safety for free! :D

·
36,633 Posts
shotgunanglr said:
how did they feed the magnums into the gun, surely they don't fit in a stock factory 10/22 clip?
If you read the first post it sounds like they didn't actually shoot it with magnums and it was the 22lr's that were splitting. Hate to think what would have happened with the rifle if he had shot 22 mag in it. One or two probably would have not cause much damage but repearted shooting certainly would.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think this guy has learned to leave the repaires to the people who know what they are doing. I was at the gunshop this morning and he brought in a couple other guns to be cleaned and serviced. We got to talking about the stupid this people do with guns. We got to hear stories of how one guy used a 3/4" drill bit to open the choke up on his shotgun because he didnt want to pay $25 to have it reamed and honed properly, cost him a new barrel! And the guy that put a choke tube in the chamber of his new Mossberg 500 12ga. because he thought it was used for reducing the chamber to a 20ga! And a whole lot more. I could have set there all day.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ask a rangemaster...

They have all kinds of great stories.... The one I liked the most was the guy with a 12g auto, who got a jam, in the process of clearing it, got his thumb slammed in the action, it was stuck, but his other hand was holding the weight of the shotgun... (and too stupid to set it on a bench) had to have help to get the action held open for him to remove said thumb... (he shoulda promptly inserted said thumb somewhere else...)

Seriously, find a cool range master, and asked them the best of the dumb...

Postal

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Vincent said:

Like the fish parable in reverse...
Take a fish away from a bad cook and prevent one night of bad eatin'...
Teach him how to pan fry and eat good for a lifetime...
:D
-S

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.