Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys and gals, another newbe question for you.

I read the comments that n3480h and awp101 said about dominant eye shooting. Forgive my ignorance, but I would rather sound dumb and ask, then not ask, and act dumb. Like awp said, since I am learning, why not learn right.

To find my dominant eye, I hear that you make a circle with both hands at arm length, and sight on a fixed object with both eyes open. Close one eye then the other, which ever eye, the object was still visable, is your dominant?

If this is the case, then I believe that I am left dominant, and I am left handed, so I should be shooting with my left hand, and looking out of my left eye? If I understood correctly, the best would be to shoot with both eyes open. When I do this, it works, but it still seems that I have to focus with one or the other. Is this normal or correct? I can hit the target, but have a long way to go to ever be any good. ???

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
OK tacotrd, here ya go:

If you're used to squinting or closing one eye, the both eyes open will feel goofy. If you're looking out a screen door, do you see the dog chewing on your new garden hose or the screen? (I had to make a new screen door). Focus on the target, let the red dot cover the point of aim. The idea is to center the optic to your sight line. Focusing on the red dot will cause eye strain. Look thru the optic the with the same focus as the right eye. The trick is to align the optic and sight line everytime you raise the gun to shoot. Practice on big bullseyes. When this is consistent back up or use a smaller bullseye. Little moves to correct alignment, smooth, don't fight it.

Besides being faster, red dots show you every bad habit and twitch in sight acquisition, shot release and recovery. Unless you have 20/15 eyes, you'll never see this on iron sights.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sure see what you mean, we did some more shooting this afternoon, and I did everything with both eyes open. Works a lot better.

You are right about the bull's eyes also. Monday, I tossed a couple of empty soda cans out, and chased them over the yard. My wife was not able to hit but maybe 1 out of 20 rounds. She wanted to try again, but didn't feel like she was improving at all. This evening, I put up 25-yard slow fire targets at about 10-12 yards. The first mag, she cut 7 out of 10 on paper. The next she cut all 10. Then she started moving them into groups. By quitting time, she had a paper target that she can look at with holes that we marked showing her progress. Much betters then the soda cans. Later we will try some of the fun knock down targets or more soda cans (I'm a Diet Pepsi addict).

This really is addicting isn't it.

:D

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
FYI, one of the girls in our USPSA Club had her pistol powder coated with a hot pink and flourescent splatter paint job.

New red dot shooters rush the shot. As soon as they see the dot on target, they pull the trigger. It's that time between the trigger pull and the bullet leaving the barrel that is ignored, gotta follow thru, I'm guilty of that too.

Glad the Mrs is enjoying herself. My wife likes falling plate and bowling pins, hates punching paper.;)

You think this is addicting, find a Steel Challenge match! It's all about speed, think of NHRA with nitrocellulose instead of nitromethane.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.