Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
  • Beware of Scammers! Does it sound too good to be true? New user has just what you were looking for? Don't get scammed! When in doubt, use escrow.
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife likes to go target shooting with me. She likes my 22-250 Remington and the Savage 17WSM. When it comes to hand guns she didn’t care for my larger calibers because of wrist issues and small hands. Then there's the contender 17hmr. Problem was her small hands. So for Christmas I got her custom furniture from Tony's Forend and Grips. If your not familiar you can take measurements of your hand and he will make accordingly. His site will walk you through it. So now she has her own contender in 17hmr. Now I'm going to start working on an extension to make the action open easier. I know some years back they made one but no longer and the hand slap method don't fly for her. If that project works I will share. Happy wife, happy life.

· Registered
520 Posts
Mine likes to shoot her dolled up MKIII, my SIG P238 and full size 1911 38 Super. Not a fan of the full size .45 and hates my Officer sized 1911 in .45. She doesn't care much for bench shooting so no rifles.
She does like shooting steel though.

She shoots our son's MKIV, other .22 pistols I've had and she decided she wants one of the TX22 SCR's now too. I think she just wants something with an optic.

· Registered
43 Posts
Nope ... my wife has been to the range, but only a couple of times to shoot .22 pistols but mostly to watch me in competitions. That's ok with me ... my range days are my time to get away to do something with the guys. She shops, I shoot.

She knew I shot guns, bought guns and ammo as my main hobby when she married me over 40yrs ago and now she knows it's a way of life for me and doesn't care ... she's not really interested in participating ...but then I don't like shop,... unless it's at the gun store of course.

· Registered
249 Posts
Absolutely not! She is anti-gun. Been married for 30 years and in all that time, she preached that there would never be a gun in our house.

About 25 years ago, I brought the 2 hunting rifles that my grandfather had given me and hid them in the closet. They had been stored at my parents house. I hid the rifles behind the wife's wedding dress and they sat there undisturbed for many years.

When my sons were in there early teens, I started to take them to the local indoor gun ranges and we shot pretty regularly, renting firearms to shoot. Obviously, they liked it an awful lot.

On the day my oldest son turned 18, my wife called me, totally pissed off wanting to know what video game did he buy for about $200? She saw the charge on his bank account. Thankfully, he wasn't home. I called him and asked him what gun had he purchased? He said he purchased a Ruger 10/22, and it was for me. Nice try! I laughed and told him I would be the intermediary at home. When I arrived home, I dug my rifles out and showed my wife my treasures before the boy made the scene. It was a little intense that evening.

The next day, I went and purchased my own Ruger 10/22 and Nikon scope. I also purchased a Nikon scope for his gun, and all the necessary supplies.

My wife has never gone shooting. Actually, she refuses to touch them.

Much to her dismay, those weren't the last firearms purchased. She grumbles a little about it from time to time, but she has grudgingly given in.

· Premium Member
24,523 Posts
Absolutely not! She is anti-gun. Been married for 30 years and in all that time, she preached that there would never be a gun in our house.

About 25 years ago, I brought the 2 hunting rifles that my grandfather had given me and hid them in the closet. They had been stored at my parents house. I hid the rifles behind the wife's wedding dress and they sat there undisturbed for many years.

When my sons were in there early teens, I started to take them to the local indoor gun ranges and we shot pretty regularly, renting firearms to shoot. Obviously, they liked it an awful lot.

On the day my oldest son turned 18, my wife called me, totally pissed off wanting to know what video game did he buy for about $200? She saw the charge on his bank account. Thankfully, he wasn't home. I called him and asked him what gun had he purchased? He said he purchased a Ruger 10/22, and it was for me. Nice try! I laughed and told him I would be the intermediary at home. When I arrived home, I dug my rifles out and showed my wife my treasures before the boy made the scene. It was a little intense that evening.

The next day, I went and purchased my own Ruger 10/22 and Nikon scope. I also purchased a Nikon scope for his gun, and all the necessary supplies.

My wife has never gone shooting. Actually, she refuses to touch them.

Much to her dismay, those weren't the last firearms purchased. She grumbles a little about it from time to time, but she has grudgingly given in.
My Dad was "sneaking them in" 70 years ago! :LOL:

· Premium Member
3,685 Posts
I was mostly a handgun guy. Wife would go to the range with me occasionally and sometimes would shoot but it was like pulling teeth to get her to go.
A friend stopped by my office and showed me a tricked out 10-22. I liked it and built me one. Next time at the range I let my wife shoot the little rifle and she loved it. I lost the rifle to her. That started my new craze over .22s.
Now....she's the one wanting to go to the range.
I got lucky

· Premium Member
37,816 Posts
Mine has but a casual interest but when she does participate she usually kicks my butt in the accuracy dept.. She did have a big grin the first time she found out how fast she could do a mag dump with my semi rifle and her Buck Mark pistol. I had never told her they'll go as fast as you pull the trigger until you run out. 😇 She just turned 70.

· Registered
43 Posts
Recently a "unicorn" fell into my lap (a Ruger Model 77/.357). I told the wife I was going to jump on the deal and was on my way to meet up with the seller but had to hit the ATM to do a cash deal. She said no wait a minute and got into her emergency cash stash and handed me the money for the gun. Now that's a good shooter's wife.

Later I hit my credit union account where I keep my gun / ammo money and replaced the emergency cash ... but her actions made the day go smooth and quick and I got a sweet rifle that I'd been looking for a long time. My wife, I think I'll keep her.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gun guys married to anti gun lady's kinda surprises me. I think a lot of women don't like the sharp loud noise. I think their hearing is more sensitive than a lot of men because we expose ourselves to louder noises at a young age. I got my wife custom silicone ear plugs at a gun show and she will still use headphones over those if there are magnums going off.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts