Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lady has appropriated my Savage 187, under barrel tube, with scope semi. She loves it and is darn accurate with it. But her little shoulder gets tender after only about 100-125 shots. She shoots from a bench. So I made a nice little rest or whatever to hold the butt of the rifle, so it absorbs the recoil. It's pine covered with leather and it doesn't move at all. She's happy!! :D
But an old timer told me yesterday that not allowing the gun to recoil into something 'giving' as he called it was bad for the gun. That the gun needed to 'punch' back into something or it would hurt the gun.

Have any of you heard anything like this? I can't imagine how it would hurt the gun. :confused:

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
It would prolly take a heck of a lot of shooting for your auto .22 to hurt itself on your leather-covered rig.

Strap a .375 H&H or a slug-loaded 12 ga in there and tell us how that works out for you! :D

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Guess I'll be the odd man out and offer this:
How much energy is transferred rearward when firing the humble .22lr?
I'd guess that even if its just a couple pounds of so, it still beats on the bedding and stresses the action screws, however little that may be. I suppose it could, over time, split or compress the inletting at the recoil areas.
But then... It might happen anyway, even if fired free recoil? Who knows?

·
36,633 Posts
Recoil is energy. Energy released has to go somewhere. I'm positve that a heavy recoiling rifle bolted down so it could not disapate the recoil would sooner, not later tear itself apart. But a 22? My daughter used to complain of the recoil from her Chipmunk with 22 lr but got along quite well with CB longs. This was when she was eight years old. After a month or two she was ok with the lr.

A bit of sand carried by the wind has a tiny amount of energy. Over time it will eat up winshields in cars and huge rocks in the desert. Evertime the 22lr is not allowed to disapate enery it has to go SOMEWHERE. Into the holder? Into the stock? A little of all I'd guess. I do think it may take years of shooting to see the results of the recoil though.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Slowalkintexan,

Can't believe a little recoil from a .22 will hurt a semi auto much until just maybe some ridiculous, enormous amounts of ammo have been shot! I also like my Savage 187. My dad bought it for me as my first gun over 40yrs ago at the local Western Auto store. Still shoots great!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If you are really worried you could put a think piece of dense foam or rubber that will pick up the recoil a tad.

Additionally your semi auto takes some of the kick out of the recoil that the .22LR produces, which will even further lessen the felt recoil.

Or she could wear a padded shoulder shirt, like lots of people do when trap shooting. That will further ease the tremendous suffering of her shoulder.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Ease up you all! Some women are built very frail and have little muscle on their shoulders. That's just the way they are built. My youngest daughter is that way. She doesn't complain of the recoil on 22's but she does feel it more than I do, especially the high velocity. Some people also have had an injury like I did. Arthritis sets in and a small amount of continous impact could create some pain. The other reason, as someone mentioned, could be the way she holds the rifle. My wife has a tendency to raise the rear stock high on her shoulder so that the sharp bottom edge digs into her shoulder. I have showed her several times how to hold the rifle but she still raises it.

That being said, my feeling is you would have to shoot a lot of high velocity rounds on a solid mounted, non recoiling 22, to create metal fatigue (microscopic fractures) in the metal and wood. But remember, nothing is free in physics. Constant impact, even as slight as 22 ammo produces, will eventually create a result.....

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Let's not forget that the OP was talking about a blowback semiauto action. If it were a locked-up action and the rest were stone-cold solid, eventually the recoil of even the .22 would take some kind of toll--probably split the stock.

But I don't think a semiauto in the contraption he described will wear out the gun in his lifetime. Or his grandchildrens'. :D

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
no offence but i'm your typical 4 eyed geek, tall, skinny, white and have no mussle on my shoulders. what makes matters worse is some rifles buts clean miss my shoulder and the rest only just conntects with it. if you hold it in just the wrong place useing rifles/shoguns is VERY painfull. however useing a 22 you simply don't notice ANY recoil. however you have to remember that if you are thinking about the recoil you will feel recoil ie you concentrate so hard on aiming you don't notice the gun even going off.

recoil the lady is noticeing may be more in the mind rather than actuall recoil.

i'm actually nursing a bit of a black arm at the mo from having the shotgun but slide down my arm in the weekend while duck hunting. didn't notice when i did it but it was certain sore afterwoulds.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Motor City Madman

Ted was in western Michigan in mid-March..........testified in a small court action.........$100,00. The public loved it. This is gun country, the DA is a shooter, the Friends of NRA group is one of the country's biggest. Perhaps Ted was alittle too subdued at the NRA convention. What do you think?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.