Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Does CZ expect us to use that aweful safety?

1036 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Frodo
For a rifle that is seems well thought out and made, the force required to work the safety is amazing. Is the Ruger/Winchester design more complex or otherwise inferior? Is there any good reason for CZ to retain this design?

When walking and looking for rodents to kill, I was never so optimistic that I thought my target would politely stand by as I loudly snapped the safety; operating the bolt was much easier and quieter.

If any of you use the safety, as opposed to an empty chamber, have you modified it to make its operation more reasonable?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
615 Posts
While I'm not a fan of the CZ safety, you have to admit that it IS very safe. It actually locks the firing pin, so there's no way the rifle can go off.

Remove the safety lever and flatten and smooth the camming surface with a stone. This will greatly reduce the effort required to operate the thing.

· Registered
23 Posts
You're right in saying that they are heavy but I think that they have a break-in period before they get easier to engage. One night while I was watching TV I sat with my two 452's and switched the safeties on and off a couple hundred times. Now they work as easily as my 77/22's safety.

· Registered
301 Posts
I just got out my cordless dremel tool after reading the solution. I polished the safety lever's camming surface at the rear where it meets the rounded back arm of the firing pin. Then, for good measure, I polished the rounded back arm of the firing pin also. It now works very smoothly, quietly gliding to "safe". Moving back to "fire" requires me to use my thumb and trigger finger, mainly because my thumb doesn't bend that way. It is very smooth and quiet now.

Thanks for the tip Forester!

· Registered
615 Posts
Glad it helped you. I can't claim credit for this one. I believe it was our old friend Nick that posted this fix here a few months ago. I've done this to all my CZ rifles, and the safety issue is no longer a problem. They're smooooooth now.

· Registered
3 Posts
Winchester safety

I wouldn't rate the winchester safety too highly. I had one that kept getting stuck. And it was noisy engaging and disengaging. I rather thought it was gimmicky. My personal preference in rifles are for the tang mounted safeties, like the Brownings. Part of the problem could be the lapses in quality control at Winchester.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.