Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
barrel length can affect velocity and spin rate, both important for accuracy, but it doesn't by itself increase accuracy. in fact, a longer barrel can have worse harmonics and be less accurate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Why is that the only place in the US that has wind, or do they have a different kind of wind than the rest of the world???
I shoot mostly on our family homestead which is only a mile from Canada.

I think a 30 mph wind is stronger there than other places because when the wind crosses the border it changes from Kilometers/hour to miles/hour.;)

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Why is that the only place in the US that has wind, or do they have a different kind of wind than the rest of the world???
ROTFLMAO!!! An easterner came to WY and couldn't keep her hair from blowing all the place. Her coat went back east at a high rate of speed. She opened her car door and it was instantly cleaned. She saw a old cowboy and asked him does does it blow like this all the time. The old cowboy paused and thought a moment and said, No sometimes it blows like hell for a while. :D

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
LOL I know. Some act like their 30mph winds are blowing harder than the 30mph winds anywhere else. LOL Having shot matches all over the country I can tell you wind is wind and they all suck. ;)
30mph!!! That is a breeze. I'm talking wind. 60 to 70 mph is common this time of year. When I grew up in the70's. The neighbors wind gauge, that was calibrated by the bureau of standards broke one time at 126 and another time at 152 mph. Yes the wind in the west is stronger. I used to hunt pidgeons in 70mph wind when I was a kid. I literally shot a pidgeon one time that was west of me at 20 yards and it almost hit me before it hit the ground. Yes we have different wind in the west. The wind was so strong that trees actually grew leaning to the east. When the wind would blow at 100 mph the 3X5 mirror on the west wall of the house would be 1" from the wall on the bottom edge. All the mailboxes were were bare metal on the west side of the box. One time driving west to the high school into the wind. The wind gusted so hard that my pickup actually stopped on the road. At 100 mph we would watch pieces of trailer houses blowing through the farmers field to the south of us. When the ice and snow covered the road we could sit on the sled and unzip our coats and hold it up and have the wind blow us down the road at a good clip.
Wind in the west isn't different than the wind anywhere else. It is just STRONGER.

·
Premium Member
6,927 Posts
The neighbors wind gauge, that was calibrated by the bureau of standards broke one time at 126 and another time at 152 mph.
That would be a category 4 hurricane (catastrophic) wind speed and at 152 just a few mph under a category 5. That would be a time to be huddled in a storm shelter, probably not target shooting with a rimfire.

·
Registered
333 Posts
LOL I know. Some act like their 30mph winds are blowing harder than the 30mph winds anywhere else. LOL Having shot matches all over the country I can tell you wind is wind and they all suck.
30mph!!! That is a breeze. I'm talking wind. 60 to 70 mph is common this time of year. When I grew up in the70's. The neighbors wind gauge, that was calibrated by the bureau of standards broke one time at 126 and another time at 152 mph. Yes the wind in the west is stronger. I used to hunt pidgeons in 70mph wind when I was a kid. I literally shot a pidgeon one time that was west on me at 20 yards and it almost hit me before it hit the ground. Yes we have different wind in the west. The wind was so strong that trees actually grew leaning to the east. When the wind would blow at 100 mph the 3X5 mirror on the west wall of the house would be 1" from the wall on the bottom edge. All the mailboxes were were bare metal on the west side of the box. One time driving west to the high school into the wind. The wind gusted so hard that my pickup actually stopped on the road. At 100 mph we would watch pieces of trailer houses blowing through the farmers field to the south of us. When the ice and snow covered the road we could sit on the sled and unzip our coats and hold it up and have the wind blow us down the road at a good clip.
Wind in the west isn't different than the wind anywhere else. It is just STRONGER.
I just used 30 mph as a generic number but you need to think you are special so have at it. I have been to Wyoming and shot matches there. Wind is wind but again if you need to feel special then your wind is the bestest ever. Lol

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
That would be a category 4 hurricane (catastrophic) wind speed and at 152 just a few mph under a category 5. That would be a time to be huddled in a storm shelter, probably not target shooting with a rimfire.
ROTFLMAO! You are right. I haven't hunted or shot in any wind over 70mph. In a 70 mph wind you have to force yourself to breathe facing the wind. I don't do that anymore. Too old I guess. But back when I was a kid nothing stopped me from being outside.

My point is what is considered the norm elsewhere is not the norm here. What math you use where you are to explain things just doesn't work here.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
It's VERY common to see 4 or 5 18-wheelers blown over on I-25 between Cheyenne and Fort Collins. The Highway Patrol will often force all high-profile vehicles to move off to the frontage road that sits a little lower than the highway.

I live high in the foothills where there's always a breeze blowing. It's nice because all mosquitoes leave for lower elevations.

When the wind decides to get rocking (80 mph sustained with gusts to 120 mph), the water is sucked out of all the toilets and pee traps in the house. Then you hear air blowing thru the pipes. I think it does this because the intake to the community septic sits above sewage level when it's been recently pumped. That allows the air blowing over the roof vent pipes to suck liquids from inside the house.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
It's VERY common to see 4 or 5 18-wheelers blown over on I-25 between Cheyenne and Fort Collins. The Highway Patrol will often force all high-profile vehicles to move off to the frontage road that sits a little lower than the highway.

I live high in the foothills where there's always a breeze blowing. It's nice because all mosquitoes leave for lower elevations.

When the wind decides to get rocking (80 mph sustained with gusts to 120 mph), the water is sucked out of all the toilets and pee traps in the house. Then you hear air blowing thru the pipes. I think it does this because the intake to the community septic sits above sewage level when it's been recently pumped. That allows the air blowing over the roof vent pipes to suck liquids from inside the house.[/QUOTE

:bthumb:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I just used 30 mph as a generic number but you need to think you are special so have at it. I have been to Wyoming and shot matches there. Wind is wind but again if you need to feel special then your wind is the bestest ever. Lol
I expected ridicule and non belief. That is about all you can say if you haven't lived life here.
Not ridicule but if you need your wind to be the best then have at it. I won't disagree. You have the strongest wind ever. 😉👍 But have you lived everywhere in the US also?

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
I don't want to seem like ah'm bragging....but...

Back in '92, I was living down in South Dade County Florida...
ah was up early, about 5 am August 24th, and it was a mite breezy at that hour.
I was kinda wondering what would happen if I tossed a 22lr cartridge up into one of the gusts.
I mighta made a small mistake by tossing it up during one of worse ones, eh?
The cartridge hit a tree and well, look what it did to my neighbor's house....

I figure that gust was pushing 225 mph. :eek:

Wind? Y'all don't know wind like I know wind. :D

Talk about breaking wind....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you were anywhere along the I-25 corridor and what time of the year.
The poster is right that when THE wind gets to blowing it really BLOWS ……………

I'm 100% you wasn't at a match in the wind he is talking about. You go west over the mountains west of the 25 corridor even the prairie dogs stay in their holes. That where the term holed up comes from "just a joke ".

You two lighten up a bit as both of you are right.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
LOL no one would be in a match in the winds he describes or even outside.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wow! Everyone has a great wind story.

What follows is a somewhat different take.

There is a long distance range a few miles north of Baker, MT where a number of long range matches are held. Mostly black powder era cartridges but also some 22LR.

The shooting area is on a hill of a few acres and the targets are at locations from directly south around to the west to directly north.

There are about 10 or so targets, I forget exactly how many.

The wind generally blows from the west and is almost always strong, 20 to 30 mph is not uncommon.

So for a match the first target is directly south so the wind is from the right. As the shooter moves around the hill to the next targets they are then shooting at targets to the southwest. Then targets just left of directly into the wind, then targets that are just right to the wind and then targets to the northwest and finally to targets that are directly north with the wind from the left.

Not only that the range is a badlands area so there are deep ******* and high hills that do all kinds of crazy things with the wind.

At a match about 3 years ago there was a 36 inch target at 900 yards that was down in a canyon but about 1/2 way to the target was an opening on the left side of the canyon that let the wind blow right through it from the left.

It was a (bad word here) to hit. Bullet impacts from one shot to the next sometimes varied by 10 feet.

Then to make everyone feel very humble the day of the match that target was shot at 50 times before anyone hit it.

And that shooter was a 14 year old girl!

121 - 140 of 141 Posts