Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,540 Posts
I also hold the on line record with the smallest 5 shot group at 100 yards of .330 with a 10/22 with a 21 inch barrel without a tuner. I said at the very beginning that the quality of the barrel is more important than the length. The length may have a part in the precision but doesn't make up for the inherent quality.

BTW, that 21 inch 10/22 allowed me to place second for the year in those long range matches the first year I shot those matches. That was in 2004.
Who got first?

·
Premium Member
6,927 Posts
For my BR rifles I won't keep a barrel that's not "capable" of shooting 1/2 moa @50 yards. I don't use tuners mostly because the longest barrel I currently have on my BR rifles is 20". I realize that tuners can help some barrels to shoot to their full potential (as I already stated), but not all of them need a tuner as proven above.
is this sanctioned RFBR matches you are shooting or just for fun?

Lee
Mostly just for fun. I do shoot at small local matches at a few gun clubs in my area but they're not sanctioned and are also just for fun. To be honest I feel bad sometimes shooting in the local matches because most of the people in my area just shoot bone stock 10/22's and Henry's. Not much for competition but I do things to make it harder on myself to try and make things a little more fair. I'm not saying that I'm a great shooter by any means but most of the people who shoot in these things are using the Winchester 333 or Remington GB's. I think once one of the other guys did shoot CCI SV.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I was surprised to see this thread still going on. The answer to the OP's question was in post #2.....
No offense to you or anyone else in this thread, but after briefly skimming thru it, the only useful comments I saw were what "Penage Guy" posted.

I think the point "Penage Guy" was trying to make and what the majority don't realize is what a mammoth undertaking it would be to set-up the proper experimental design, conduct the testing, and then supply the necessary rigorous statistical analysis to provide any answers.

Could I do it? Possibly, but I'm guessing I'd spend a ton of money and a ton of time in the effort. That's not gunna happen unless it aligns with something else on my testing schedule that I might be curious about. Considering I suspect the results would only show a small improvement relative to barrel length, it's highly unlikely I'll make the effort!

Landy
No offense taken. Lucky for you there's no reason to spend all that time and money to try and figure out if barrel length affects accuracy seeing as there is 100 years worth of data that already prove that it does not.

It is true that top BR shooters for the most part use longer barrels. But the reason is not because the barrel itself is more accurate.

For one thing a short barrel like a 16" is too stiff to use a tuner on so you basically just get what you get with them. With a longer barrel a tuner can be used to.....well to tune the rifle.

Also for obvious reasons a longe barrel is heavier than a short barrel and can help make the rifle more stable when shooting off the bench or offhand.

So while the length of a 22lr barrel doesn't affect the accuracy of the rifle it can affect the ability of the shooter to shoot it more accurately.

I don't disagree that Penage Guy provided useful information to this thread, but IMO several other people have as well. Jaia for one posted several times in this thread and has probably done more experimenting with 22lr barrels and ammo than most.
Lmfao I doubt any of you have done the amount of testing that Landy has done. (Huskers) when Landy talks you should listen and take notes , the man absolutely knows what he's talking about. By the way it has nothing to do with being able to put a tuner on a longer barrel.

·
Premium Member
6,927 Posts
Lmfao I doubt any of you have done the amount of testing that Landy has done. (Huskers) when Landy talks you should listen and take notes , the man absolutely knows what he's talking about. By the way it has nothing to do with being able to put a tuner on a longer barrel.
Not sure what your talking about??? If you actually read through the posts you'll see that in the end we were both pretty much in agreement that there's really no conclusive information one way or the other.

I'm sure he does know what he's talking about and I don't believe I or anyone else has claimed to do "the amount of testing that Landy has done". If you read all my posts in this thread I didn't say that you have to put a tuner on a longer barrel. And if you know what your talking about then you know exactly what a tuner is for.

Other than that thank you for your extremely insightful and informative post (like all your other posts on this forum) we can all take notes and rest easy now......

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Sorry guys, I lied. I thought my MOA versus distance in meters was only 5 groups at each range. Today I found the raw data and OMG, I have magic bullets. The entries marked in yellow are smaller in MOA then at least one of the shorter ranges. :)

Of course, the wind had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
376 Posts
It's not just the 22 rimfire that experience more wind drift as the muzzle velocity increases. Any cartridge regardless of caliber experiences the same thing.

Below is a chart showing the wind drift at 400 yards for the 22 Long Rifle and the 45-70 for muzzle velocities from 700 to 2000 fps for a 5 mph wind.

For both cartridges the wind drift increases as the muzzle velocity increases up to a certain muzzle velocity after which it starts decreasing with an increase in muzzle velocity.

The 22 reaches a maximum wind drift at around 1700 fps muzzle velocity and the 45-70 around 1500 fps.

To get the wind drift for the 22 Long Rifle down to its minimum value at 900 fps the muzzle velocity must go up to 2912 fps.

For the 45-70 at 800 fps that figure is 2438 fps.

This data is from the ballistics program Point Mass Solver by Bryan Litz of Applied Ballistics.

This is for standard atmospheric conditions using a G1 BC of .155 for the 22 Long Rifle and a G1 BC of .400 for the 45-70.

Muzzle Velocity - 22 Long Rifle - 45-70

700 - 27.78 - 10.06
800 - 25.13 - 9.32
900 - 24.32 - 9.36
1000 - 25.19 - 10.27
1100 - 27.19 - 11.77
1200 - 29.64 - 13.42
1300 - 31.76 - 14.60
1400 - 33.35 - 15.20
1500 - 34.44 - 15.30
1600 - 35.07 - 15.01
1700 - 35.31 - 14.47
1800 - 35.24 - 13.79
1900 - 34.90 - 13.04
2000 - 34.35 - 12.27
I find this hard to believe. Try shooting long range air rifle. I definitely want a faster projectile. Wind has a huge affect on drift, more so on pellets than slugs.

·
Premium Member
58,683 Posts
You don't have to believe it, Ballistic engineers come up with these figures, they may actually know what they're doing....but you don't have to believe it. :)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I find this hard to believe. Try shooting long range air rifle. I definitely want a faster projectile. Wind has a huge affect on drift, more so on pellets than slugs.
All the smart allecks go with the crowd thinking.
I agree with you.
Any of the smart allecks should go to central MT and shoot in the wind and shoot HV and SV on a windy day and actually SEE what happens to your bullets. I really don't care what the math says. I go with real life experience!

·
Registered
89 Posts
All the smart allecks go with the crowd thinking.
I agree with you.
Any of the smart allecks should go to central MT and shoot in the wind and shoot HV and SV on a windy day and actually SEE what happens to your bullets. I really don't care what the math says. I go with real life experience!
Actually, central Montana is where I shoot.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Why is that the only place in the US that has wind, or do they have a different kind of wind than the rest of the world???
LOL I know. Some act like their 30mph winds are blowing harder than the 30mph winds anywhere else. LOL Having shot matches all over the country I can tell you wind is wind and they all suck. ;)

101 - 120 of 141 Posts