Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Does anyone else remember this?

1489 21
I recall finding discarded 50 round .22 Rimfire ammo cartons whan I was a kid in the early - mid 1960's that had a target printed on the inside surface of the outer sleeve. I can not recall the brand but I thought it was neat that they included a target.
Does anyone else remember these and is so, what brand thay were? Or then again; maybe my memories are bad and I am recalling something I did not really see. For some reason I am thinking a Federal or Peters product?
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Not as far back as you are remembering-but I seem to recall sometime in the late '80s Remington did that on 500 round brick boxes.
Or was it 50 round boxes? Don't have any around to check on any more...but I could see it starting with Peters and then Remington continuing it.

· Registered
931 Posts
I shot a alot of Remington and Winchester 22lr back in the early, on up to the late 60's, - round nose on HS rifle team and hollow points hunting squirrels. I don't remember seeing any 50 round, or brick boxes with targets of those two brands.

Could it have been later than the 60's ?

Paul

· Registered
5,816 Posts
Not as far back as you are remembering-but I seem to recall sometime in the late '80s Remington did that on 500 round brick boxes.
Or was it 50 round boxes? Don't have any around to check on any more...but I could see it starting with Peters and then Remington continuing it.
:t FWIW,-- Remington owns the Peters name!!! :t

· Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the answers. It was definately the early 1960's as it was before I started shooting. No later that 1965 and possibly as early as the late 1950's. They were 50 round boxes I would find along the creek when we went to fish or look for frogs. You could split the carton along the seam and there was a target inside. I'm almost 60 so it's possible it's a faulty memory but I do know the Red and white Remington 22 LRHP's or Yellow Box Winchester or Western 22s I used when I started shooting did not have it.

· Registered
4,828 Posts
I believe Armscor does this. Ira is that ammo a local product or made in the Phillipines for your market? Cool looking ammo. Would love to get some but it wouldn't be worth the hassle with customs. Maybe you can get some and throw it in a bottle in the Pacific. I'll look for it along with all the Japanese Tsunami Junk on the California coast:D Should be showing up within the next year or so:eek:

· Registered
5,447 Posts
I have to laugh about targets on Remington boxes, at 50 yds you would be lucky to have 2 hit the target somewhere, at least in my rifles, if I put some CCI SV or better, I could keep them all on the target.
Maybe the thunderbolts are a little better than the golds.

John K

· Registered
1,718 Posts
I have to laugh about targets on Remington boxes, at 50 yds you would be lucky to have 2 hit the target somewhere, at least in my rifles, if I put some CCI SV or better, I could keep them all on the target.
Maybe the thunderbolts are a little better than the golds.

John K
That may be true now, but back in the day (early '60's) he's talking about, Remington made some fine ammo. Believe me, I shot literally thousands of rounds of .22 in them days. When the OP asked the question, I knew it had to be Remington or Winchester, cause that was the most prevalent ammo by far. The only other brands we saw around these parts were Federal and house brands like Sears, Wards, and Western Auto. Ain't it a shame how times has changed!

· Registered
931 Posts
That may be true now, but back in the day (early '60's) he's talking about, Remington made some fine ammo. Believe me, I shot literally thousands of rounds of .22 in them days. When the OP asked the question, I knew it had to be Remington or Winchester, cause that was the most prevalent ammo by far. The only other brands we saw around these parts were Federal and house brands like Sears, Wards, and Western Auto. Ain't it a shame how times has changed!
Agreed.
I've found the same here. Through most of the early to mid 60's, my allowance went to a brick a week of Remington green box round nose that my brother bought at discount through his pistol club. And for hunting, the occational box of Remington or Wincester hollow points did just as good a job on squirrels as anything I can buy today.

When I was on High School rifle team in the late 60's all we used was Remington green box, and pretty much all of the other Long Island school teams we shot against used it too. At that time, for team practice and practice at my home range I'd burn through two bricks a week. FTF were pretty muchunheard of. And the rare times they happened, it could be traced to gun, not ammo because we'd always try that FTF round in another gun and it would fire then. Then it would cause an embarrassed look on the FTF shooter's face - meaning he hadn't cleaned his gun well.

And, not that it's a great challange at 50 feet indoor comp range, but the Remington green box would do one hole groups all day long from prone in the School's Ancshutz match 54 I used, and same in my Mossberg 144ls. Anyone who didn't get 100x100 in prone couldn't blame it on that ammo.

I don't see much today that gives me better groups out of my Winchester 77 that it got back in the 60's. I've been shooting that same gun since the early sixties. Used Remington's and Winchester's hollow points for hunting squirrels with it and it did just as well as decent ammo today.

One difference I see in ammo today is alot more choices of poor ammo being sold. :mad:

Paul

· The Mod Squad
7,077 Posts
Like this:

Remington Thunderbolts probably from the 1980's.
I have a brick of Remington HV that's also from the 80's with the same targets printed on the inside.

I know I also have an older 50 round box (somewhere in my collection) that has a small target printed on the inside. I've checked most of my Remington and Peters but I can't seem to find it. Maybe it was another brand. I'll keep an eye out for it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.