Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been shopping for a new high quality barrel for my next 10/22 project. A short .920 barrel 16" to 17" inch long. The soul reason I want a short barrel is Rigidity. Yet so many over the counter good aftermarket barrels are 18" 20" and even 21" long. Yes I know I can special order these, just seems like their would be more shorter barrels than there is readily available. I could see the use of a longer barrel on a 22RF for iron sights. But so many of us use scopes most of the time. Is there some kind of old school thinking or trend causing such a situation. If you have some time here is a good link as to why I want a short barrel. Lilja

·
Registered
674 Posts
Interesting question... The logic behind aftermarket barrel lengths is puzzling.

I've always wondered why the barrel makers use such a short length (typically 16.5--18") on barrels chambered and rifled for shorts and SSS ammo.

If I'm spending the $$ to customize a gun for subsonic ammo, then noise is probably a factor. Longer barrels are quieter than shorter ones, so why not sell subsonic barrels in longer, quieter lengths ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
No coffee yet so here's my thoughts

I'm fairly new on this board... and no expert on anything however I have a 16" GM barrel and it shoots just fine.

I suspect that longer barrels are a hold-over from black powder, iron sight length of sighting plane considerations or in .22 RF a desire to go subsonic without using subsonic ammo...but the real reason [ or my theory] you don't see a lot of 16" barrels is because barrel makers buy their blanks in 25 ft lengths..and they would get too much waste if they cut 16's.

16"s FOREVER!

Regards,
Unk

·
Registered
691 Posts
It really depends on what your looking to do

Depending on ammo, a 22 lr reaches it's highest velocity about 14-16" down the tube. So if your looking for max velocity, then a 16" barrel is the way to go. But, if your looking for accuracy, a longer barrel is your ticket. The reason for that is that the bullet is still in the tube when it reaches max velocity and is still under control as it starts to decelerate. There are exceptions, but target ammo shoots better, out of a longer barrel. I have a Sako that had a factory 23" barrel that shot pretty good. Went to a Lilja that is 25" long and it shoots even better. I had a BSA IM MkIII with a 29" barrel that shot VERY good (still wondering why I got rid of that :confused: ). All my rifles have scopes on them and are strickly shot from the bench.

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
longer barrel + subsonics = quieter as barrel gets longer. for us close living pest destroyers this can be important...neighbors dont like to hear sonic cracks all the time...

i think barrel quality is more important than barrel length.

·
Registered
58 Posts
AFshooter said:
I hope that SN is registered as a handgun. :1t How many years is it now?
:Modified_
No, it's not a handgun. Adding a stock to a handgun with a short barrel is no different than lopping off the barrel of a rifle. In both cases, you are still making a "Short-Barrled Rifle." :yikes:

Which is what this is. It is registered with ATF as an SBR. Thanks for the concern, though. :2ar15smil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.