Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Do Savage clips really fit?

2281 8
I've heard that they will but do they? My new 64 MPR is in need of a couple 10 round clips in order to limit the reloading required to shoot 22 shots prone.

Thanks in advance,
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I purchased some from a fellow. I don't know if they were the
regular Savage clips or some specifically for a Savage/Anschutz.
He was using the Anschutz pistol. In my 1416(64 action) rifle
they fit but were pretty tight coming out. I compared them to my
mag. And wish I could remember where, but took just the barest
little sliver off with a Dremel tool. I am thinking it was at the
upper back end. Along a seam. But it was a very small amount.
And they work as slick as the factory Anschutz mag.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If your gun takes the same mags as a 54 action then the Savage mags for a 35/34/65/85/416/982 will fit with a little filing on the edge of the magazine....Brownells sells the Savage type magazine under part # 533-400-350 for a 10shot magazine.....price 13.35 .....I did get the same magazine in the 5 shot version and used a hand file to match the savage magazine to the factory Anschutz and they work fine....feed perfectly, drop just like the factory mag and lock in the same......they CAN"T have the floorplate removed for cleaning but a rinse out keeps them going .....I got this from another board where competition shooters posted about this common pratice among Anschutz shooters using lots of magazines and I tried them and it is easy to see the slight filing needed when comparing it to a factory Anschutz magazine......mine have lasted a couple of years ....I also got some of the "generic" winchester ones for my 52's and they also work fine but require no work since they are made for the Winchester.....HTH..good luck and good shooting!!!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
According to the Champions Choice online catalog there are two different 5 shot magazines, one for "All sporters" and one for "All silhouette rifles". I'm going to guess that my 64 MPR is one of the latter group which just may rule out the Savage mags. They also list a 10 shot for all sporters. Does that mean you can use a 10 round in a silhouette rifle?

·
Registered
58 Posts
i use the same magazines in:

anschutz exemplar ( 64 action)

anschutz 54.18 MS ( 54 action)

anschutz 1710 sporter (54 action)

cooper m-57

the only difference in the cooper vs the anschutz magazine is the base plate on the bottom.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I got 4 and 8 round clips labled "Savage Anschutz" from David McWhorter in Battle Creek Michigan.
They all work fine, but the 8 round one tends to jam the first round, as you describe.
I found that if I first push the mag up, and then pull it down, it will feed the 8th one too.
Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.