Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last turkey season my friend went out with some fake turkey and tried calling some in and stuff.
It was getting late and then he heard something.
A darn coyote ran right up to his turkey and paused in amazement wondering why the turkey wasn't running away from it.
At that second it was about to runn off and he whistled to get it to stop moving.
Sure enough at 20 yards the thing stopped and looked around.
He hit it with his Remington 870 [dunno what size shot but you wouldn't think it'd matter at that range with that choke] with the extra full choke in the shoulder and it knocked it off its feet and landed about 5 feet over.
As any good hunting story goes, the coyote gets up as my friend is walking up to it and runs off.
He pops him again midway down its spine and finally the thing stops.
It's still alive so he stomps on its neck [and breaks it].
Not the most humane kill...but an interesting turkey hunting story.

So the question is...
WHAT DO YOU DO WITH A FREAKIN COYOTE?
Do people actually eat these things?
I didn't ask my friend because I didn't wonder what he did with it til the next day.
Wouldn't it be kinda like eating dog [never had dog but my dad says it doesn't taste good]?
I'd like to know if you guys hunt coyote and if you do do you eat them and how do you prepare them?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Maybe there's someone out there that does eat 'em, but to the vast majority of people, they are considered "varmints," and are not eaten. If you feel brave, let us know how it tastes -- probably like chicken if I were guessing.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Like a woodchuck, the 'yote is a varmint, these are not game animals. Perhaps in a must eat survival situation, but extra care would be a must as they prolly contain various parasites. On the other hand, squirrels i don't consider varmints. Pests maybe, but a small game animal.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
For most the people I know they havent. Im sure some wakko out there has :(

However, most people either shoot and leave lay or they take the hide for selling.

Dean_311

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys.
I knew they were considered varmint [hunting on them is year round], I just thought perhaps he ate them because he told me the only thing he shoots and doesnt eat is opossum.
It surprises me that racoon was a game animal, he took a few of those when we were in school. I just never saw them as game.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A chinese friend of mine says the way to cook dog (or cat) is to boil it in water for several hours. Then throw the water away and boil it again. Then make it into whatever dish you would like (Kung Pao Pug? Dim Sum Daschund?). He claimed that the double boiling took the gamey flavor away.

If anyone tries it, let me know if it works!

Dave D

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
Dog is very tasty. In the west it was a staple of life for indians. When Lewis and Clark ran across dogs they ate them. Clark disliked the idea but they tasted good to the others.

It depends on how hungry you are but, you'd be amased at what you have eaten in restaurants and not known what it was.

The double boil is the best safety. I also use that for jackabbits. then, some wine to cook them in and that gamey taste goes away.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I was thinking the same thing...

I called and shot a wolf in January. When i skun it, the hind quarters looked really good, long grain meat. Im not to excited about trying it. Mostly, i aint hungry enuf!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I hate to be contrary, ------BUT----- Coyotes and chucks don,t go on the same menue. While I wouldn,t personally eat a coyote Til just this side of starving I have eaten numerous chucks and their delicious . Big time hint, head shoot the current seasons pups late in the summer or early fall . Skin em clean em and soak em in salt water for a couple hours to overnight, roll em in flour /salt&pepper fry em like chicken. Tastes like squirrel or rabbit They are all rodents, eat the same stuff what the heck-- Their tasty trust me. Continuation of big time hint ---don,t get greedy and get to thinking bigger is better--- you shoot a chubby 2 yr old and fry em you better have teeth like a Great White to naw the meat of the bone, big ones go in the stew pot with green chiles onions and garlic ---way tasty--- Every things food to somebody!---Shoot Safe---montdoug---(buy the way in the mid 70's a prime well skinned dog coyote was bringing $165.00 thats why we shot em then)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've had tamales made with dog meat and they were pretty tasty. If coyote tastes like dog, I'd say it's good eating. But coyotes are usually eating things domestic dogs aren't, so I doubt they taste like dog.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Since things that eat meat

GENERALLY don't taste good to us...I suspect coyote would taste foul.
Woodchucks are vegetarians, hence the tasty flavor.
Some Bear eat a lot of meat and those are the bear that don't taste great...the ones that stick mostly to berries and other veggies tend to taste just fine.
Other examples can be found in the birds...like crow vs. mourning dove or mallard vs. merganser... crows and mergansers aren't real tasty...
For the most part...if the critter eats carrion or meat, it will not taste good to humans...a good rule of thumb to live by.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Coyote recipe ...

Now this is just one area where you young fellers are light weight in the experience department.

You dice and fricasse the coyote meat until light brown and cooked clear through. Then simmer the meat in a light wine sauce, thicken the sauce to the consistency of medium gravy.

After simmering the sauce for thirty minutes on a low heat, spread the sauce on a bed of Juniper twigs. Set the meat sauce aside, let it set until cool.

After the sauce has cooled, remove the Juniper twigs, eat the twigs and throw away the disgusting sauce. :D

This is an Old Arizona Indian recipe. :D

Bill :cool:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I ate what I was TOLD was

coyote, it had been pit barbecued, and tasted like beef that had
been cooked with LIVER! OK if you like that sort of thing, I guess,
but - - - - -. (It was put out as "Mystery Meat!)

At the time, the local Air Guard unit used to do a "Wild Game Feed", usually either just the weekend before or after that
really Super football game, if you know the one I'm thinking of.
As I remember, it was like $5.00 for all you could eat! Of course,
the bar was also open, and they made out pretty well.

·
Registered
536 Posts
What MilSpecMan says is true. In South Korea, they do eat dog, and I suppose if they had coyotes, they'de eat them too. It's not uncommon to walk down a road in S. Korea and see folks out Wok-ing their dogs.
I don't suppose it would be any worse than Beagles and Cream Cheese.
For that matter, how about a Pitbull Barbeque, or a Chuhuaha Chimichanga? Coyote and Cheddar, that's it. NOT.
Y'all go ahead and eat all the coyotes you want.:rolleyes: I think I'll have a ratburger.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I gotta tell y'all that I am disappointed that none of you have tried to eat yer yotes. If there's some fools in South America who figgered out that if ya LICK them big ugly swamp frogs they have down there ya have some tremulous dreams(their skin has a psychedelic/hallucinogenic fluid on it) I am quite sure that one of you can figger out how a yote tastes. Somebody has to figure out everything so one of ya be brave and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
TRUST ME = Back in the 70's I trapped for a living and we tried to not waste anything. Bobcat is very good if female or young male- We tried several receipts for fox and cyote - no frigging way can you eat this unless desparate. It is not like dog. Fox and Cyote have some supper bad musk glands and smell like skunk when cooking. We never could get past the smell. Young beaver was also good and similar to bear meat.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Countries that are close to china eat dog BUT there is a difference in the dogs I am told. For example in the 'nam they have Vietnamese gods and "western" dogs.

Vietnamese dog= Sweet and good to eat (I am told, haven't tried but probably am going to before I leave for the "cultural experiance :))

Western dog= Not good they don't eat, they keep as pets. :)

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.