Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Do cheap hard cases do the job?

1015 33
So i'm needing a hard case for my 10/22 to transport the thing and only have like $50 to spend on one.

I don't need one that's airline approved or waterproof or anything. All i'm really concerned with is one that'll keep my scope from getting knocked around while the thing travels in the trunk of my car or the back of my buddies pickup.

Will those $25-30 thin plastic hard cases i see at the store do the trick as far as the foam keeping the rifle from getting banged around?

At the local stores they either seem to have the cheap thin plastic ones or $100+ ones. Even though i'm willing to spend more they don't have anything in that $50 or so price range. I don't really want to buy online because the shipping on these things is pretty expensive.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Most hard cases, you will find, are hard to pack and take up a LOT of room. But they are the best way to protect your stuff. Most of the cheap ones suffer from poorly designed and flimsy locking arrangements. Make sure you inspect the locks/buckles/whatever, or you'll wind up tying a belt or rope around the middle to keep things from falling out.

·
X-Mod
18,518 Posts
I have a double rifle Plano case that I've been using for years and single rifle DoskoSport. I'd like to have one of the nicer cases like a Pelican, but I'd rather have another rifle. :rolleyes: Plus I don't really have a need for one right now, maybe one day. :)

For your purpose, one of the less expensive ones will be fine. ;)

·
Premium Member
30,499 Posts
There are some cheap ones out there that provide good protection. As stated earlier, look for the hinges and locking mechanisms. I have a Pelican that I don't use much and the cheaper ones can provide good protection. I use soft cases the most, usually made by Boyt, but the cheap hard cases will provide better protection, they just take up a lot of room.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah i'm not worried about it taking up space cause like i said it'll either be in my car or a truck just getting transported to the shooting location (either at the range or up in the mountains off some logging roads).

What i'm concerned about is will these cheap ones be able to compress the rifle enough (since the cheap ones don't seem to have straps) in the foam to keep it from sliding around in the case and banging up the scope.

Sounds like i should be ok, but just wanted to make sure first.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Cabelas has had an in-store promotion on a very nice locking aluminum case for around $50 in recent flyers. I picked one up, and it can't be beat for the money. I trust my Annies to it.
gkn

·
Premium Member
36,928 Posts
I've a cheap one with the slider(4) latches and egg crate foam and it works fine. I bought a nice one for the airlines and Detroit Metro managed to poke a hole in it; 300 mag ss was uninjured. The plastic ones are good as long as the latches secure well and the foam is thick enough, which mine was. Foam isn't expensive so one would think/guess that there would be enough in them to do the job. I'd put my new Cooper in it but then the coyotes would have an advantage time wise, so soft case(quicker draw) it is.:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have to to wait for UPS/FedEx to bring it to you? I was at the bass pro shop today looking at the cases and picked one up it was sturdy and secure. Very well made.
No, i'd definitely rather get it in store but i'm in Oregon and we don't have Bass Pro Shops here....at $80 it's already out of price range (although if i could buy it in store and avoid S&H i might splurge)...since i'd have to order it the price would be even higher.

I'm trying to save up to buy a lever action so i really gotta try and stick to the budget.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yes the cheepies work for basic transport. I have two that I bought for our twins model 60s, they worked well till we upgraded there scopes. now they dont fit. so check size first. it still worked out OK as I now put my cowboy long guns in them.[ they dont wear scopes.] the first ones I got were more rifle shaped and were on sale at Big 5 for around $15. they had some that were rectangles that claimed to hold two scoped rifles for $35. [ but I can just fit the one.] as others said watch the latches and hinges. they work bwtter than soft cases for nicks and dings but I dont think they would hold up to the airlines luggage gorillas. DR.

·
Registered
13,160 Posts
22AGS pretty much sums up my experience as well - they do a decent job of keeping your rifle protected and zeroed with standard handling procedures (i.e. you don't throw them off the 2nds floor balcony into the bed of the truck :D ) but my gosh are they bulky!

I have several of them, and find some way of stuffing two rifles in them if possible, just to justify the bulk. Have an ancient hard case / scabbard that I use for transporting my deer rifles, Doskosils and Planos for my air rifles.

Really and truly, one of each for transport purposes has been plenty for my needs - storing them in these cases really can bulk up quickly - ask me how I know. :mad:

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
cheap plastic cases will work fine for what you describe, and they are well within your $50 case budget.

I will have to second the Plano Air glide case. i think they run about $35 at Dicks sporting goods. I've had one for years that i only used to take rifles to and from the range, until 2 years ago. I fly every year to Missouri hunt deer opening weekend, and i used take 2 rifles and have a nice aluminum case to transort them in. 2 years ago, i decided it wasn't worth taking 2 rifles, so i was going to put a new foam liner, cut for my rifle, in that aluminum case, but for the good foam it would have cost me about $50, not worth it to me. so i started looking for a new case, then i checked to see if my Plano Air glide case was FAA approved, it was, so i decided to use it. It worked very well and actually stood up to the abuse of baggage handlers better than my aluminum case.

It's a little bulky, but offers very good protection.

DW

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have a couple of hard cases I picked up. Both basic light aluminum sides with OK hinges and latches. Fine for transporting around town to the range or hunting, but I would not use them to travel by air. Cost was about $60 each. One I got from Cabela's the other from Dick's. I have a hard case for my shotguns from when I was shooting competition double take down model that lasted well for years. Paid about $150 for it back in the mid 80's.

Rules for buying a hard case. Look at the latches and hinges. If for air travel buy one that is bigger then you think you need and stronger than you think you need. It will cost you big $$$ but worth it for your guns safety and security. Around town any of the under $100 models with good hardware will do. Just make sure it is big enough for your needs.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I picked up a Plano pistol case yesterday, that is a heck of a lot better than the plastic boxs most guns come in these days. I paid about seven bucks for it. Good latches, good hinge, good egg crate padding. A place for a padlock, like that would do a lot of good. I guess it would keep a kid out. After looking at this one, I'm going to get another one for a Dan Wesson 22 pistol I've got, and I'm sure going to look at the ones for rifles. If they're as well made as this pistol case is, and I expect it will be, I'll going to get a couple of them too.

Plano makes good stuff. I've used their tackle boxes for years.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.