Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's done!! (22LR stock to 22mag)

I ordered the Custom colored Boyds' Smart Stock or SS stock - Forest (green camo) from Stafford Sales for my 22mag rifle. That means I have to do a bit of dremeling.

Hopefully it'll go well and I'll try to take pictures to document how to do it.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Taking pictures on how to do it isn't going to happen.

I'm 3.3 hours into the job (my dremel skills and number of sharp bits are lacking). I have about another 60 minutes of fine tuning how it fits because it has an extreme interference fit in some sections.

What I've learned so far.
1. Cut out the wood behind the receiver with respect to it's position based on where the trigger assembly wants it to be FIRST. The trigger assembly will be in the stock position.

2. The barrel screw hole has to be changed no matter what way you try to make it fit.

3. The mag likes to sit loooowwwww in the stock, so dropping the front most barrel channel is a must.

4. Find out what a pressure pad is, 'cuz I'll probably need it to fill some of the gaps I made from messing up.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It appears as though people have been reading this, so I'll post another update.

I'm still sanding down the piece up front where the barrel rests. I have another 1/8" - 1/4" to go. When that is complete, I'll have to sand down the side of the stock where the bolt lever is going to hit.

Other than that, I drilled out the take down screw hole and glued a dowel rod in the spot. It's not too pretty, but this is mostly about function.

(edit) I think I'm getting sick. blah.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh suuuuuuuuurrrrrrre. Tell me that now. :p :D

Laboring has been put on hold due to research project presentation. Work will resume on Wednesday.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look! A picture. whoo hoo!. The picture doesn't show much, but I wanted to show the neat-o colors of my stock.

I finally got the receiver and trigger seated properly without requiring force to put it in it's spot. I also drilled the barrel screw hole (this was the 3rd friggin' time).

I still have to buzz down some wood so the bolt handle can fit and spend more time sanding out the barrel channel.

I was planning on dipping the receiver in acid bath to make it silver, but I think the little bit of black to go with all the silver (scope and SS barrel) is going to look good.

When everything is all seated and fits nicely, I'll have to spend lots of patient time filling in the gaps where I over cut the wood. *doh*

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank ya. *bows*

When I first got the stock, I didn't care for the colors too much. I only ordered it 'cuz it was "limited production", ambidexterous, finished and on sale. Luckily, the colors have grown on me and I really really like 'em now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.