Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a post on here about my wife getting me a new gun for Easter, it is a Ruger Mark 4 22/45 and I love it. A friend of mine when he saw it, had to have one so he went this morning and bought him one from another shop. He paid $500 otd for his gun and its a Mark 4 too just not a 22/45. All I can see is his has a metal frame and mine is synthetic, is that the only difference or what other differences are they. From what I can see, I can't see a $100 difference. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
I have a post on here about my wife getting me a new gun for Easter, it is a Ruger Mark 4 22/45 and I love it. A friend of mine when he saw it, had to have one so he went this morning and bought him one from another shop. He paid $500 otd for his gun and its a Mark 4 too just not a 22/45. All I can see is his has a metal frame and mine is synthetic, is that the only difference or what other differences are they. From what I can see, I can't see a $100 difference. Thanks for any help.
Was it stainless (in which case much more expensive materials) or blued with an aluminum grip-frame (in which case slightly more expensive)?

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
It was blued.
Either way, a metal frame must be machined, whereas a plastic frame can be molded and then just needs minor machining to get it "just so." The aluminum frame on the blued version is much easier to machine than the stainless one, but still tougher than the synthetic.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Either way, a metal frame must be machined, whereas a plastic frame can be molded and then just needs minor machining to get it "just so." The aluminum frame on the blued version is much easier to machine than the stainless one, but still tougher than the synthetic.
So the frame is the only real difference?

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Yes. The 22/45 has always had a synthetic frame, with a grip angle to match the 1911 (hence the "45") while the "standard" has always had a metal frame with a grip angle to match the Luger and/or Nambu that it was developed from. THe older guns, up to the Mk II were all steel, either stainless or carbon, while the Mk IV blued versions have an aluminum frame.

Whatever it's made of, enjoy it. They all shoot well. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. The 22/45 has always had a synthetic frame, with a grip angle to match the 1911 (hence the "45") while the "standard" has always had a metal frame with a grip angle to match the Luger and/or Nambu that it was developed from. THe older guns, up to the Mk II were all steel, either stainless or carbon, while the Mk IV blued versions have an aluminum frame.

Whatever it's made of, enjoy it. They all shoot well. :)
Yes mine shoots great, I never thought much abount small game hunting with a handgun but the way mine shoots, I'm gonna try and go when it opens in May.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Magazines are NOT interchangeable between the two styles either. I have a MkII 22/45 that I purchased back when I had a 1911 and wanted the same grip for practice. If I ever get a MkIV, it will be a standard model in stainless.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
The frame is the most notable difference as it will change grip angle, magazine style, weight and balance of the gun ( aftermarket parts choice too if you decide to go that route). Some models have different sights, threaded barrels, extra rails etc......Without seeing the exact guns in question, it is hard to say that those are the only differences in your comparison. FWIW, I own and enjoy both styles but will point out that they "feel" different in the hand. I also feel the quality of the metal frames justifies the price difference regardless of which style you prefer..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts