Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the differences between the Winchester Super X 40 gr HP, and the Supreme 34 gr. HP in .22 Magnum?

Obviously they have a different bullet, but I mean as far as in the case used, powder, etc...

I'm just curious as to why my CZ will put 5 of the Supremes in one ragged hole (at 50 yards) and 5 of the Super X will group about 3/4" or so. Which is still pretty good for me but there is a noticeable difference.

In test firing my new CZ to see which ammo it likes best, the Supremes are it. Also they have a profound effect on Starlings that land on the nearby fence post as well. :)
The Remington Premiers are second, almost as good. But those are pretty spendy.

Has to be more going on there than just the bullet....seems to me anyway.:confused:

Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Maybe they use a little more quality control.:confused: Whatever it is they shoot good.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My guesses are:

1) The higher velocity helps stabilize it better.

2) The powder burn at flash point which sets the bullet in the barrel does not set it as deep as the lighter bullet and then through burn out it is not as consistent as the lighter bullet is.

3) Your particular gun "likes" it better.

I shoot Rugers and after trying upwards of 10 different rounds the Supremes are definitely more accurate and the most consistent of any tried.

There are much more knowledgeable folks here than I who I hope will help out by giving replies.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Joe,

I have exactly the same results in my CZ American, the Supremes are producing groups about half the size of the Super X's.

Having said that I can still hit a rabbit in the head at 75-100 yards with the Super X's, so, if that makes them a problem round I do hope that all my future problems will be like this:D :D

John

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Super-X vs. Supremes??

NO contest!

It'll be the Supremes, everytime.

It could be the "construction".....

Ya got an easily damaged (by feeding) "soft point HP" vs a " fully jacketed HP".

The bullets might be balanced better for more stable flight.

"QC" might be better for the Supreme.

That's one of the "fun" parts of our sport.......finding the ammo that our rifles like!

;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.