Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Fatstrat, the 510 has the famous Beehive bolt with its center red cocking indicator button,(like the 511, 512 and 521) Built from 1939-1962, over 550,000 made, I beleave the 514 has a different rear bolt design, and a slighty different stock design, built from 1948-1970, over 750,000 made, Both are single shot, Both great rifles, think you need to buy them both so they have good homes :p . Around here a 514 usually brings $25-$50 more the a 510 in similar condition. I would expect to pay $75-125 for a good 510, More for a really clean one,(unless it was a $15. Garage sale find :p ) Good Luck, Olypenn22

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
In equal condition around here, a 510 will sell higher than a 514. The 514 was brought out later to compete with Stevens and other lower priced .22 rimfires. When they came out in 1948, you could buy a new Stevens for around $12-13 and a 510 was around $19-20. Remington sold 514s for about $14-15 so was much more competative with the lower cost rifles. $5 was a lot of money in 1948. There are a lot more 510s around here but most of them have a lot of miles on them. It seems to me it's harder to find a very clean 510 than a 514.... maybe that's just my imagination.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Grandparem, Thanks for the info, always wondered why the 514 overlapped the 510 production run. Have heard the 514 pitched as the new and improved model of the 510 more than once at gunshows. Did not know about the original price difference, I have passed on several 514's, Seem like nice rifles, usually a little better condition than a average 510, good fit and finish, but never liked the look of the bolt and stock compared to a 510, I see 2 or 3 510's for each 514 I see. So maybe this explains the price difference around here. I am still looking for a 510 in great condition, found a 550-1 in like new, figure its just a matter of time before a great 510 shows up. In the mean time, my beater 510 is a great shooter. Olypenn22

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
olypenn22 said:
Grandparem, Thanks for the info, always wondered why the 514 overlapped the 510 production run. Have heard the 514 pitched as the new and improved model of the 510 more than once at gunshows. Did not know about the original price difference, I have passed on several 514's, Seem like nice rifles, usually a little better condition than a average 510, good fit and finish, but never liked the look of the bolt and stock compared to a 510, I see 2 or 3 510's for each 514 I see. So maybe this explains the price difference around here. I am still looking for a 510 in great condition, found a 550-1 in like new, figure its just a matter of time before a great 510 shows up. In the mean time, my beater 510 is a great shooter. Olypenn22
My brother-in-law inherited a 514 from my "wood carver" father-in-law and I sure wouldn't classify it as "new and improved". They are a decent rifle, but not in a class with a 510. I too am always looking for a better 510 than I now have... I actually gave my son-in-law a nicer one than I kept because I always figured I'd find a really slick one. (Lot of -in-laws involved here.)
The 514 had a moose head carved in the right side of the stock but other than that it was probably 95%.... would like to find a 510 that nice.

Guess I need to find a 550-1 some day. It would fit nicely with the 51(X) series rifles I have. Most important project right now is to find a 580 or 581 to take to Voelker for building a target rifle. Started searching local pawn shops after getting back from Iowa a couple weeks ago but haven't found it yet.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Bobin Maine, I beat you by one year, got mine on my birthday in 47. I also still have it. Been kinda neglected in recent years, will have to dig out of safe and take it out shooting again. It always was a very accurate rifle.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the 514 which was at auction. Paid $85.+ shipping/FFL recvr fee. I figure about $110. total.
How'd I do?
The 510 is at a (semi) local shop and it will be about $100. I figure to get it later if it's still there.
It was a hard choice, but I liked the stock shape of the 514 better.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The 510s have an auto safety that resets every time the bolt is operated, located at the side of the aciton. the 514 is a manual affair located at the rear of the bolt. I might mention that I had a 514 in for repair a few years back and it took considerable time to locate a new safety knob, which then had to be hand fitted to the bolt. Be careful not to lose yours, Fatstrat....Best,

xx

www.martincustom.com

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
514 safety problem

The saftety is made of aluminum,the associated parts are made of steel.But the way it is designed wear is not much of a factor,what is,is that moving the safety from safe to fire can rotate the bolt,unlocking it.Not a safety issue,just aggravating.I enjoy shooting my 514,and think it is a good rifle,maybe one of the better ones in it's class.I'm nit picking about the operation of the safety.Mine is accurate and has a good trigger pull.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Fatstrat

There should not be a problem with it falling off or wearing out anytime in the forseeable future if yours is in good shape. Folks take them off or they get bumped and broken and I have seen a few wear out from use; but not many. I just got a 514 in from my computor repairman to convert to 17m2 and the rifle iis in very good shape as is the safety. He gave 20.00 for it at a garage sale. Seems like everyone finds these deals but me. I'd buy a dumptruck load of them at that price. Best,

xx

www.martincustom.com

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Fatstrat said:
Thanks for the replies and info. What's a ballpark figure on value (in G-VG condition). Auction prices seem to vary widely.
One persons "good" is another persons very good and anothers fair (usually depends whether you are the buyer or seller :D ) so it's hard to judge without seeing it.
However, IMO, a good to very good would have 90% of the original blue and the wood could have minor handling marks but retain most of the finish. My guesstimate would be around $115-120 for a 514 and $130-135 for a 510 that I could call an honest 90% condition on the finish and no mechanical faults.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.