Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Did the DIY Auto Bolt Release!!!

1055 13
I know this is old news, just proud of myself and need to toot my own horn!!!:p :D Been wanting an Auto Bolt realease for a while now. But as I looked at the aftermarket ones, I notice it and the stocker were very similar. So after comparing the stock bolt stop to an aftermarket one, I decided to modify mine and see if it would work... And it did!:yippee: I took a Dremel and a small round grinding/sanding drum, turned the speed all the way up and slowly started removing material. Then once the little hook was removed, I set the dremel speed to the lowest and smoothed it out. Feels nice to do something with my own hands and save a few $$$ by doing so. When I showed my dad how it worked in my gun, he asked me to do his!:p :D
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know this is old news, just proud of myself and need to toot my own horn!!!:p :D Been wanting an Auto Bolt realease for a while now. But as I looked at the aftermarket ones, I notice it and the stocker were very similar. So after comparing the stock bolt stop to an aftermarket one, I decided to modify mine and see if it would work... And it did!:yippee: I took a Dremel and a small round grinding/sanding drum, turned the speed all the way up and slowly started removing material. Then once the little hook was removed, I set the dremel speed to the lowest and smoothed it out. Feels nice to do something with my own hands and save a few $$$ by doing so. When I showed my dad how it worked in my gun, he asked me to do his!:p :D
Good deal! I did mine with a chainsaw file, couldn't find my Demel, works slick as snot too. I did find the Dremel though.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congrats!

Good deal! I did mine with a chainsaw file, couldn't find my Demel, works slick as snot too. I did find the Dremel though.....
Congrats on getting it right the first time!

I just did mine this past week and tested it last night, but mine needs further work. Sometimes the bolt will stay back, and sometimes it won't. I didn't have a small grinding stone for my Dremel so I used a chain saw file too, doing it by hand, but I had a hard time getting a "bump-free" edge.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After completing that little adventure, I decided to take my bolt and bare receiver out to the shop to try my new dremel polishing kit on them! ;) The inside of my receiver is now as smooth as glass and my bolt has a mirror finish! I can literally see a mirror image of my bolt handle in my bolt! :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Sure does! Here are some pics of the bolt after polishing and then one of the gun!:D Sorry for the crappy pics! I need a new digital camera. Current one is a 5 year old 3.2 megapixel that's been to hell and back!

Notice the wood paneling of my walls!

Good reflection of my bolt handle!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nice rifle Tac-Driver. Last weekend I did the bolt release on mine too. First try I went flat on the bump and when shooting it would lock back every time. Second try with a bit more off and it would lock back every other time, third time put a small half moon in it and it works great. Good feeling working on your own baby ain't it!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, I just put a nice curve in it the first time and had zero problems! But, if it hadn't been for a few knowledgable people on this site, I wouldn't have curved it and probably bought a aftermarket because I thought I screwed something up! LOL, this site is great! Thanks for the compliment!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I also noticed the aftermarket bolt release was very similar to the OEM and took a Dremel to the original part. I figured that if I screwed it up, I could always buy the modified replacement part. I used the high speed and a small grinding tip to remove the points and at first it didn't work but then I noticed that the bolt release was still slightly above the trigger assy housing so I ground it a little more until it was flush with the housing and it worked! I used a couple of jeweler's files to de-burr and chamfer the hole. :bthumb:

·
Registered
23 Posts
instead of starting a new thread about it I just wanted t say I also just compleated the auto bolt release. I pulled out the Dremal and went for it. The first time I put it back together I found I hadn't removed enough. But a couple minutes later its done. Great easy mod; really gives that 'I'm a gunsmith' feeling even if I did constantly stare at a pic of what to do while actually doing it.

On a side note as I was putting my trigger group back together I fully polished it for another easy mod. Next will come the bolt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.