Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Did I make a mistake? Winchester 63

1247 Views 15 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  XLIV
At the gun show today, and I saw a Winchester 63 on the table....about 85% - 90% condition or better. I noticed that it had a grooved receiver, so naturally I assumed it was the Japanese redo. But on picking it up, I found that it actually was an original Winchester made in the USA.

Guy offered to take $750 for it. I thought about it and walked off to think some more. A little later, my brother and I decided to take a hard look and perhaps purchase it. Yep, it was gone.

Did I screw up?

I did manage to snag a very nice little '37 year model Winchester '62. Tight little gun.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
512 Posts
I'm not a automatic guy but I had a grooved 63 that was about 90% that I took to our biggest gun show in the state about 4 yrs. ago. 3 guys darn near fought to pay me the $850 I was asking for it. Could'nt believe it. But the fact that you Never see them for sale tells me I could of asked more.

Greg

· Registered
8,906 Posts
Dibs
I'll give 198 for yours
Muzzlehatch, ignore this poster, he'll turn right around and flip that gun for 200 dollars!

44, I'll see your 198 and raise you $10!!!! :cool::D

I took my 63 out last friday and was reminded of just how good it is. Quality? None better. Ever. Accurate? Dead on out to 50 yards where I was making shotgun shells disappear with it. Beautiful? Oh please. And I love the rear biased balance. The 63 is an example of what could be built when top drawer engineers, in this case Thomas C. Johnson, pull out all the stops, without the hindrance of the bean counters trying to shave corners. This gun ROCKS.

· Premium Member
12,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Muzzlehatch, ignore this poster, he'll turn right around and flip that gun for 200 dollars!

44, I'll see your 198 and raise you $10!!!! :cool::D

I took my 63 out last friday and was reminded of just how good it is. Quality? None better. Ever. Accurate? Dead on out to 50 yards where I was making shotgun shells disappear with it. Beautiful? Oh please. And I love the rear biased balance. The 63 is an example of what could be built when top drawer engineers, in this case Thomas C. Johnson, pull out all the stops, without the hindrance of the bean counters trying to shave corners. This gun ROCKS.
I'm with you on this....saying these are nice guns is like saying water is wet....an understatement. From the generation that whipped the Germans in WWII, endured the cold war, and laid the foundation for putting a man on the moon. Those guys knew how to build good stuff! :bthumb:

My '42 model 63.....

· Registered
1,021 Posts
I think I would have grabbed it just because of the grooved receiver. I was at a gunshow last year and picked up a drop dead MINT 63 with a grooved receiver. The guy had $1200 and I offered $1000. He came down to $1100 and I walked off...............for about 5 minutes. Went back and bought it. While walking around the show with it later, a dealer just had to have it. I ended up taking a 1 oz graded, first strike, buffalo gold coin for it. I still have mixed feelings on the deal. The gun didn't have a single mark on it that I could see.:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.