Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Devcon for Bedding

1376 Views 21 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  gitarmac
I REALLY need to bed my 10/22. I have a Yukon stock with quite a bit of slop in it. I have some Titanium Devcon at home that I would like to use. Is this a suitable substitute for Acraglass?
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

34,874 Posts
I will almost always reccomend the Acraglss and Acragel kits but if you are going to use anything else DEvcon is one of the better choices. Have you ANY experience in bedding rifles? The kits are helpful there because they come with good instructions.

The most important question I have for you is what are your intentions for a release agent? PLEASE don't use anything like Pam, the cooking spray. You are just asking for big trouble if you don't use the correct release agent. Get the good stuff that is designed for that purpose.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vincent said:
The most important question I have for you is what are your intentions for a release agent? PLEASE don't use anything like Pam, the cooking spray. You are just asking for big trouble if you don't use the correct release agent. Get the good stuff that is designed for that purpose.
I was planning on doing a test tonight with about 6 coats of paste wax on a piece of steel. I have heard of other people having good luck with it.

The stuff that I have is not "quick set", so I will have some working time with it, and heat shouldn't be an issue. It is also machinable and chemical resistant, so it shouldn't shrink or react with cleaning agents.

34,874 Posts
They all shrink to some extant or anotherGood luck with it, be careful and remember that it is alot like painting: all the important work is in the prep!

· Registered
1,247 Posts
Be REAL careful using wax as a release agent. Many epoxies heat up to >170 deg. when they begin to "Kick", well above the melting point of wax. In addition , shy away from the quick-set or 5 Minute epoxies as they do not allow ample time for application and installation of barreled action. Best case scenerio: listen to Vincent and use Agriglas Gel. It's a proven product with predictable results and IT W O R K S !!! Too quote my grandfather, "Never sacrifice quality at the alter of time and convinience"

RonSC

· Registered
218 Posts
MKnarr said:
I'm not sure about Devcon or "other" epoxies but I do know that kits like Accuraglas and Miles Gilbert use high strength epoxies that do not shrink over time and they include release agents that work. I personally swear by the Miles Gilbert kit.

There is a sticky in the Tips and Tricks section you may want to look at.
Bedding a 10/22
I'm about to attempt a bedding job. I'm not sure I totally understand what I'm reading and seeing in those bedding instructions.

In the part, "Relieving the rear of the stock", is he saying to relieve the shelf that the rear end of the receiver sits on?

· Registered
218 Posts
Lemme see if I got this straight.

I'm routing out the shelf, and a little beyond, but leaving a lip around the inside, for the receiver to sit on while the epoxy cures?

I think it's the multi-colored laminate stock in the picture that's throwing me off. Difficult to make out what's raised and what's recessed.

· Registered
259 Posts
I used my dremel and a cutting bit, something small that will fit in the corners and run it along the rear edge of that shelf, maybe a little more at the corners. Then going over that with the steel dremel brush I have a nice cleaned up groove for the bedding.

I used JB weld and it turned out great. I was going to get the real stuff but figured I was only going to do one gun and wouldn't use it all. When I was researching bedding I came across several threads that addressed the use of devcon for bedding. People seemed to like it as well.

· Registered
3,500 Posts
Wables said:
I REALLY need to bed my 10/22. I have a Yukon stock with quite a bit of slop in it. I have some Titanium Devcon at home that I would like to use. Is this a suitable substitute for Acraglass?
Sorry Vincent, I have got to open my big mouth.

Wables,

I've never used the Titanium Devcon, but many times I've used the quick dry devcon epoxy to bed 10/22s. Now some folks are going to harp on using it. I have had zero problems with it. No shrinkage, no cracking or seperating. Its a 22lr not a 300 win mag, you don't need super high strength. I have a stock that is still in use today that was bedded using Devcon 5 years ago, no problems.

As far as release agents I use crisco shortening. OK folks time for you to throw a fit ...... insert temper tantum here ......... If you are using a quick dry epoxy you be pulling it from the stock about 15 to 20 minutes after you slaped it together and that isn't enough time with Devcon quick dry to produce the heat needed to melt the shortening. I've done around a half doven stocks this one, no problems with any of them and not once did I lock one together.

Keep in mind people ...... this is only applied to 10/22s. I have bedded a number of centerfires and used stronger stuff! Also keep in mind most bedding agents are epoxy, ussually with fiberglass mat added or something simular. If you try my method, and follow the directions I've given in the past it will work flawless ..... and no I don't garantee anything .... your the one doing it not me.

These two guns are bedding with Devcon, both shoot great and gave no problem!

Dave Z.

34,874 Posts
Dave has a different opinion than mine and to be honest my opinions are based on many years of bedding centerfire rifles. Who's right? We are. Both of us. There are often many ways to get from here to there and Dave's must work as he has proven them more than once. I see no reason to throw rocks or even debate it. I feel, now and probably forever, that the kits are best for MOST people and in particular shooters new to bedding rifles.

Dave has proven his method. I'm glad and interested that he mentions the difference between ouick set and other Devcons. Due to recent events and things I've read here I feel even stronger that with normal, slow drying, epoxies that the heat issue must be addressed when choosing a release agent. I have no idea what that does to, and how it may affect other things used as a release. So in my ignorance it makes me run for the proven stuff. The stuff that comes in the kits. It is available separately from Brownells so if you choose to use Devcon or other epoxies you can still use the commercial release agent :t :t

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did a test with my devcon last night/today. I took a piece of steel and put 2 coats of paste wax on half of it. I mixed up a small batch of Devcon and put 3 or 4 blobs on each half. It cured for 24 hours, and was completely hard. During the 1st 2 hours I monitored the temperature, and found no noticable heat being generated. This evening I picked up the piece of steel, and the blobs that had been on the wax plopped right off. The blobs with out the wax won't be coming off without a grinder. Tonight I installed a pillar bed as described in the tips and tricks section (went REALLY well), and I will either do the action bedding tonight or tomorrow. I will report the results when finished.

I guess there are two schools of thought here. Spend the money to do it right, or try to do it right with the materials at hand for free. I am usually in the second category. Neither is wrong, just different.

· Registered
3,500 Posts
Vincent,

No biggie guy, as in the past we have found an understanding between the two schools of thought. For those who don't know Vincent and I had a lengthy debate on this very subject and I think we both respect each others opinions after it was all over and done with. I see nothing wrong with using kits, but I also see nothing wrong with using an alternative method if done with common sense and as Wables has done here a little testing.

Wables,

Good deal on your tests, I did much the same when I did the Devcon route the first time. It is wise to do so. Let us know how it comes out!

Dave Z.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bedded the action and pillar last night, and took it apart today. I don't know if I could be happier with the results. I am going to bed the barrel tonight. I will post some pictures of the finished product. Thank you for all the advice, from both sides!

· Registered
26 Posts
I have used three different types of Devcon plastic putty for bedding rimfires and centerfires. Aluminum, titanium, and steel putty are all good; if weight is a factor, use either the aluminum or titanium. The steel putty is the most common. I have always mixed by weight on a digital scale, 9 to 1 ratio, and comes out great everytime. For a release agent, use Kiwi nuetral shoe polish. Rub one good coat on all surfaces. I use Qtips to get into tight places or model paint brushes. When you apply the epoxy, don't getin a hurry, you have plenty of time. Just drop in the stripped barrelled action and snug up the action screw. the material will ooze out, but it won't drip or run. I don't touch it for at least one hour; if you try to clean up the overrun, it will definitely shrink around the edges. I wait one hour and usually it is firming up at this point. Use plastic dental picks to remove the excess where you can reach it, top or bottom. Depending on the temperature, most jobs will be completely cured in 24 hours. Seems to work for me.

· Registered
218 Posts
What's Devcon like when it's mixed? I didn't like Acraglass much, it's pretty messy. Something more like Quicksteel epoxy putty would be much easier to work with.

Brownell's release agent seems a lot like liquid latex. I wonder if the stuff from "The Adult Store" would work too. :D

· Registered
259 Posts
I have some quick set devcon that I haven't used yet. It seems pretty thin and runny it it's scringe container and sets in 5 minutes. I did mine with JB weld. After 3 hours I removed barrel and action, swabbed with alcohol and added a little more and rebedded. After 3 hours I checked it, added more release agent and let sit overnight. I found it hard to figure out how much to mix up and had to add more to fill in gaps. Actually I think it would have been OK if I hadn't but adding more to fill in gaps made it nice and even. I think I will stick with it since it worked for me the first time.

I wonder if something could be mixed with the devcon to make it a little thicker. I'll bet a little sand would work well, it wouldn't compress or react to the epoxy or breakdown later on.

· Registered
6,463 Posts
I recommend using the stuff made especially for bedding, accra glass. BUT just about any epoxy will work fine for a rimfire as long as you use a good release agent. If you dont, it'll stick. As long as the rifle is completely assembeled and nothing is wrong with it, even if it get's stuck...................it's no big deal, until something breaks. So buy the best parts you can and hope for the best.

hehe, that helped alot didn't it? hehe

I have successfully used jb-weld with paste wax as a release agent on a 10/22. It worked fine. I've always wanted to try some epoxy putty to bed with. I 'think' it would be very easy to work with. 'THINK' is the key word here. lol

good luck,
swampf0x

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.