Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on buying a Cooper LVT, but am having a tough time deciding between the 17 HMR and the 17HM2. As I already have a 54-18 Annie, I'm set on the 17 rather than the 22 with my primary use being punching paper out to/beyond 100 yards, hense the 17 rather than another 22. I have had some experience with the 17HMR but know virtually nothing about the HM2. Is there any advantages or disadvantages of one over the other in accuracy at 100-150 yd. ranges. Also, what are the opinions as to whether the 17HM2 has long term staying power as a cartridge (don't want to end up with an expensive piece of wood if I go with the 17HM2). I like the difference in ammo cost of the HM2 over the HMR, but does one lose anything in the bargain. Any real world experiences with both in comparison would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

· Banned
4,250 Posts
I'll give you my advice and input that I have seen and heard thus far. The 17HM2 will shoot on average just as good as its bigger brother the 17HMR at 50yds. At 100yds. or farther the accuracy advantage swings back in favor to the 17HMR due to its faster velocity.

If I didn't have any 17's, and I wasn't going to get my first, I myself would go with the 17HMR. If you like it, which is a no brainer by the way, then you can always buy the 17HM2 later.

Brad

· Registered
4,258 Posts
brad541thb said:
I'll give you my advice and input that I have seen and heard thus far. The 17HM2 will shoot on average just as good as its bigger brother the 17HMR at 50yds. At 100yds. or farther the accuracy advantage swings back in favor to the 17HMR due to its faster velocity.
Brad
I would have to agree with that. My Cooper LVT 17HM2 and Annie 1717 shoot about the same at 50 yards, ie, they are capable of mostly single hole groups if I can do my part. The 1717 does seem to have the edge at 100 yards for me so far. But I am by no means an expert shot. ;)

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh my goodness Brad, that is some beautiful wood on your LVT. Thank you both for your information, looks like the 17HMR is the way to go, as I plan on shooting it at 100 yds or beyond, and wind should be less of a factor with the faster bullet. Steinie, I know its a bit tricky as one of your rifles is a 17HMR and the other a 17HM2, but how would you stack up the Annie 17 to the Cooper (and any info. you can provide Brad would also be greatly appreciated). Reason I ask, is though I'm smitten with the Cooper, I can get a HB Annie 17 classic for approximately $250 less...is the difference in accuracy/trigger/etc. that siginificant between the two? Thanks.

· Registered
4,258 Posts
Cdog1 said:
Reason I ask, is though I'm smitten with the Cooper, I can get a HB Annie 17 classic for approximately $250 less...is the difference in accuracy/trigger/etc. that siginificant between the two? Thanks.
Wow. I've never really said which I like better before, dunno if I can now. Both are awesome, well built, lifetime guns. :)

I'm gonna ramble a bit here as thoughts come, so just bear with me. :)

Cooper trigger is easier to adjust lower, the Annie (lawyer-trigger) will only go down to 2.2 pounds until you change springs, while the stock Cooper adjusts down to about 8oz or so. My Cooper is right at 14 oz right now, while the Annie is at 19-20oz with a hardware store spring, but I did get a new lighter spring for her from Neal Johnson's last week that I have not put in yet. Should be good to go down to 10oz if I want to. Both are single stage and crisp as can be for a hunting rifle, and both have sear adjustment as well.

That said, the thicker palm stock on the Annie seems easier for me to hold steady, fits my hand better I guess, but they are both sporters and somewhat touchy (at least to me) off the bags as to how you hold them. At least compared to both my 54.18's which almost seem to shoot themselves off the bags. The flatter forearm of the LVT does help from the bags though, I find with the Annie, which has more of a field stock, I have to fold a towel in the front bag to help keep her from rocking a bit side to side.

Bolt action on the Annie is smoother than the Cooper, but the Cooper does seem to be wearing in and getting better. It's just that the Annie bolts feel like they are riding on butter, or golden ball bearings or something. First thing I noticed when I got my 54.18's was how butter-smooth the bolts are. They both lock up solid, and should last for 100's of thousands of rounds.

Between the two for the field, they are currently 27-0 for jackrabbits. Not a miss between 'em yet. (Knocks on wood) So they are both superb as field guns and sporters for me. ;) Longest jack with the 17HMR was 192 yds, while I shot one at 101 yards just last weekend with the 17HM2. Headshots are almost too easy with either one.

Wood will be better on the Cooper, the Annie's tend to be more plain and utilitarian on that front. If pretty matters, the Cooper wins. :)

Cooper allows some customization as well, I ordered mine from the factory with a 20 inch barrel, can't do that with an Annie.

· Banned
4,250 Posts
I'm not trying to sell you on the Cooper over the Anschutz. Both are very well built guns. The wood on the Cooper 57LVT will be a lot better than on the Anschutz. Also one other thing to remember about the Cooper. The barrel is guaranteed for life as long as you own it. If you ever shoot it out, all you have to do is send it back to Cooper and pay the shipping charges, and Cooper will put on a new barrel free of charge. I think even if you shoot out the second barrel, Cooper will still put on a new one free of charge. Anschutz won't do that. Just so you know.

Brad

· Banned
4,250 Posts
Cdog1 said:
Oh my goodness Brad, that is some beautiful wood on your LVT. Thank you both for your information, looks like the 17HMR is the way to go, as I plan on shooting it at 100 yds or beyond, and wind should be less of a factor with the faster bullet. Steinie, I know its a bit tricky as one of your rifles is a 17HMR and the other a 17HM2, but how would you stack up the Annie 17 to the Cooper (and any info. you can provide Brad would also be greatly appreciated). Reason I ask, is though I'm smitten with the Cooper, I can get a HB Annie 17 classic for approximately $250 less...is the difference in accuracy/trigger/etc. that siginificant between the two? Thanks.
Thanks for the compliment. I got a great wood Cooper that's for sure. The new Cooper LVT's have got some real good wood. You really need to see the gun in person if you plan on going the Cooper route. Or get the seller to send you several pictures of the gun if you plan on buying it off of the internet or by phone out of state.

The accuracy you asked about between these two rifles would be hard for me to give you a honest answer. I don't own a Anschutz. The Anschutz will shoot real well. But I know I can tell you that the Cooper would be hard pressed for any rifle to beat it consistantly group for group. My best group so far is less than 3/8" ctc at 100yds. for 5 shots. At 50yds. my Cooper will consistantly shoot 3 shot groups in the .1's if I do my part. I almost duplicated my test target on the second day of shooting my gun. It will flat out stack bullets at 50yds. At 100yds. most of my 5 shot groups are around 1/2" or less.

Brad

· Registered
2,196 Posts
Shoot, the 17hmr gives advantages the 17mach 2 doesn't. Just get one of those and don't look back. Anshcutz, Cooper whcih to get? Either, both are top quality rifles that you simply wouldn't wish to part with. If being USA made means anything get the Cooper. It is comparable to the Anschutz at least.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again to everybody for their advice and comments. Steinie, that Cooper of yours is also really really nice, beautiful wood and your scope set-up is the way I planned to go with either rifle. However, thanks to all the info., I've decided to go with the Cooper. Yes it costs a bit more, but the wood, the iron-clad warranty as mentioned by Brad, and the fact that it's U.S. made, not to mention the superior trigger adjustment capability right out of the box as mentioned by Steinie, all have convinced me that that is the way to go. Also, I already have an Annie, so now I can have one of each. Now if only I can find one...I've seen a number of 22LR and 17 HM2 LVT's, but no 17HMR's. The search is on. Thanks again everyone.

· Banned
4,250 Posts
That Cooper 57LVT 17HM2 I listed above sold for only $925 if I read it right. That is a deal.

You can't go wrong buying the Cooper. They are guaranteed for as long as you own it basically for accurate shooting. If it ever stops shooting like it did, all you have to do is send it back to Cooper. They will fix it free of charge.

Let us know when you get one. If you need help finding one, let me know. I'll be glad to help you.

Brad

· Registered
4,258 Posts
Holy cow.
I paid list for mine, $1295, but of course I ordered it with a cut down barrel, so had to go thru the local dealer, but still.............. only $925?? I shoulda bought it just to resell or something..... :)

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brad, thanks for the offer of assistance in finding one, I'll take you up on it. I tried Whittakers, but they have no walnut stocked ones in stock and have no idea when they'll be getting any. I also called First Stop, but they were also out. Whittakers, of course has a better price, but it doesn't matter if none are to be found. Any suggestions as to other dealers would be appreciated. Thanks.

· Banned
4,250 Posts
Call Pat's Sporting Goods. They are located in Waynesburg, PA. Call Cooper and get their phone #. Cooper can also give you a list of Cooper dealers and their phone #'s.

www.cooperfirearms.com

You can also call Shooters Gun Shop in Cape Girardeau, MO. That's where I bought mine. 573-651-9091.

fw707 bought one of his Cooper's from them as well. I helped him pick it out. I even took some pictures so he could see the rifle. I will do the same for you if you would like.

I'm pretty sure that they have a 57 Classic and a 57LVT in 17HMR. I can help you if you buy from them. I work approx. 2 miles from Shooters. They usually stock 2 of each of these rifles. I don't get a cut from them just so you know. They are a good reputable gun shop.

Tell Rowdy that Brad Clodfelter sent you. Tell him I said to give you his best price. They will be very close to Whittaker's in price.

Remember now that the new Cooper rifles have went up about $50 in price since I bought mine. Expect to pay close to $1325-$1350 shipped for a new 57LVT in 17HMR.

Brad

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.