Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Date codes

1336 Views 11 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  grandparem
I thought I had this date thing figured out but had never actually looked at all my rifle date codes. Problem is that some of them don't match the production years.

I have a 511 with code R L Should be Nov. 1942 or Nov. 1964, right? Problem is, production ceased in 1962 but it has a grooved receiver which I didn't think started as early as 1942. Print style on the barrel also matches later models. Does anyone know what year grooved receivers started? Or did production continue to clean up some parts at a later date?

Also have a 510 with date code L P.... Feb. 1967???? Not even close to production dates. Also it has no Pat. #s on the barrel... says Patents Pending so is an earlier model and also matches the print style of earlier models.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
748 Posts
grandparem, was hoping rsv1mos would answer this question, he has made of study of Remington barrel codes and has helped me more than once with questions like yours. I have ran across several weird Remington barrel dating questions, On several of my rifles the barrel codes have been stamped off center, turning what was a B into what looks like a R and what was a O into what looks like a U, I have a KB (May, 1955) 550-1 with a grooved receiver, because of the difference in blueing on the barrel and receiver I suspect that either a local gunsmith grooved the receiver or the rifle has been rebarreled. Would like to know myself when remington starting grooving receivers and if all receivers after that date had the grooves or was it a optional item. Another 550-1 I have has what I first thought had a P 77 barrel stamp which turned out to be a P ZZ (June 1953) date stamp. Could your 510 be a B instead of a P ?. Hope someone can help us with this, would also like to know the names behind the inspector marks, would be neat to know someone named Harry Smith inspected and stamped my 550-1 in June of 1953. Hope this helps, Olypenn22

· Registered
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
olypenn22 said:
Could your 510 be a B instead of a P ?. Olypenn22
Pretty sure the 510 stamp is an L P. It's very sharp and distinct. It has an A in a slightly smaller stamping in front of the L P which I take to be an inspectors stamp. Some of my guns have stamps that are harder to read but both of these are very crisp.

· Registered
748 Posts
grandparem, that smaller A might be your answer, so far every Remington I have owned that has more than 2 barrel stamps in the date code area has had the inspector's or process stamp letter or device in the third position, leaving the first 2 positions for the Month and Year code. Sometimes these first 2 date code stamps are slightly smaller or larger than each other and sometimes the font's are slightly different. If you used AL as your 510's date stamp you would have a date of March, 1942. That makes more sense than anything else to me, On the P ZZ 550-1 I mentioned the P is only about 1/2 the size as the ZZ and a different font style. Just my thoughts, Olypenn22

· Registered
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the "A" is spaced farther away and smaller, I would have thought the "LP" which are close together and the same size would have been the date code. You may have something though... others I have don't always have the month and year as neatly stamped in line as this 510 is. March 1942 would fit very nicely. :)

· Registered
1,635 Posts
I beleive that grooved receivers began in the mid 60-s, say 65 or 66 ? At which time, ('68), began ser #'s on .22's ...

· Registered
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
McBendy_Elbow said:
I beleive that grooved receivers began in the mid 60-s, say 65 or 66 ? At which time, ('68), began ser #'s on .22's ...
McB,

I'd say they started earlier than the mid-60s. I have a nice original 512 from 1960 that is grooved. Also a JC Higgins/ High Standard that I bought used in 1960 and it is grooved.... I'd guess Remington started late 50s like most companies but don't know exact year. Besides, a lot of 51(X)s were grooved and most were discontinued in '62. 513Ts continued through '68 and were the last of the 51(X) series. (Not including the 514s which aren't considered the same series [or quality].)

· Registered
107 Posts
McBendy and all

I looked up the date codes on my rifles to help bracket the date of grooving receivers when I ran into a glitch on the codes also...my wife's rem 511-X Scoremaster is grooved and has a date code of june 1966 (PN 61). The PN is very clear and complete, but according to the above sticky regarding Remington models the 511 and it's variants were manufactured from 1939 to 1963. Unless the -X was continued on after the 1963 date?? Jerry

· Registered
1,635 Posts
Grandparem, you're probably correct ! When I wrote that I was looking at a couple of 521-T's ... The only ones that had grooved were the very last of the run which ended in 1968 ...

· Registered
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
woodsloafer said:
McBendy and all

I looked up the date codes on my rifles to help bracket the date of grooving receivers when I ran into a glitch on the codes also...my wife's rem 511-X Scoremaster is grooved and has a date code of june 1966 (PN 61). The PN is very clear and complete, but according to the above sticky regarding Remington models the 511 and it's variants were manufactured from 1939 to 1963. Unless the -X was continued on after the 1963 date?? Jerry
The 511-X was produced from '64-66 so the June '66 would be okay. The one I have is a 511A (even though it is just stamped 511) produced from '39-62. 511P would have a receiver (peep) sight. 511-Xs I believe all have newer type open sights.

· Registered
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
McBendy_Elbow said:
Grandparem, you're probably correct ! When I wrote that I was looking at a couple of 521-T's ... The only ones that had grooved were the very last of the run which ended in 1968 ...
It would be my guess that the reason that even most of the later 521s weren't grooved is because they were intended as an entry level target rifle. It probably was not expected that people would be mounting scopes on them, but using the receiver sights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.