Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My barrel touches stock all the way out to withing 1.5" of tip of stock. Should I even try and see how it shoots this way or go ahead the relieve the barrel before taking out?

TIA

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
My CZ shoots VERY good without the barrel having been floated. I'd say at least TRY it first... THEN, if you're not getting the results you want, float it.
Paul

·
Registered
100 Posts
CZ Tuning

I was dissapointed to find my .17 American had the wood touching on the right side. Got so excited putting Brookie's trigger kit in that I forgot to grab sandpaper and my deep sockets. Had a little stringing and wandering at first, but it went away and I'm thinking that might have correlated with some degree of barrel break in at around 100 to 150 rounds fired.
Now my forearm wood still appears to touch lightly, but grouping is super and it hit 5/5 paintballs at 85 yds the other evening.
I was going to float the barrel, change mounts and scopes, etc., but for now I'm not touching a thing.
Go ahead and just shoot yours, you might be glad you did.

·
Registered
45 Posts
when I first shot my Ultra lux, I had pretty good groups with about 5 different ammo. the whole right side of the stock was touching the barrel. I didn't really want to touch it, but when I put in Brookie's spring kit, I went ahead and floated it. I am getting ready to go shoot it again for the first time this afternoon. I will post the differences that I see. I have some pics of the groups from before mods so I will try to post them and new ones as well.

Curt

·
Registered
751 Posts
Don't be scared to improve the rifle. Some guns shoot fine with the barrel touching the side of the barrel channel. The problem is, that you can't control the amount of touching or the pressure of the contact and it WILL change over time, especially in humid weather, or climates with wide moisture or temperature swings. Go ahead and shoot it as is and record your results. Then float it and shoot it again, and record your results. If it shot better with pressure, then go ahead and add a pressure pad of some kind, and start tinkering with the thickness of the pad, testing all the way. The easiest and best way to do this is with a bughole tuner, but of course, I am biased on that! The main point is, there is no magic or voodoo in it. You already know that harmonics play a part, the job now is to arrive at the right harmonics in a controlled and deliberate way so you KNOW what is going on and how the barrel is being effected, and that the condition creating your accuracy will not unexpectedly change. You can do it, you won't screw up, just be methodical and patient, and make sure to learn all the lessons along the way. The gun will teach you something. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.