Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made it out to the range today. But of all things it was 37 degrees and raining. Not something you expect in february when you live in alaska.

Still putzing around with differnt ammo. Have tried pretty much everything that I can get locally. I had never tried any eley ammo before today. I had a couple hundred eley target rifle to try out today with some cci green tag and some winchester supreme match. I had pre figured that cci green would shoot great as cci mini mags shoot very well in my varmint. But they shot a little worse than the mini mags. Tried the eley and couldn't hardly believe how stinky and dirty burning they were but they sure did shoot well. The winchesters were awful as far as groups but didn't hardly dirty the barrel.

I cleaned the barrel with solvent inbetween brands. I couldn't believe how dirty and how much work it was to clean after the eley target.

After trying all three @ 50 rounds each I went back to the eley and tried for some 5 shot groups @50 yds. Twenty 5 shot groups averaged .38" which is the best I have ever done for 20 groups.

Got pretty excited shooting with the eley. Will try going back tomorrow if the weather is not to rainy. I may have to try the old usbr target and see if I can finally break the 220 barrier. So far 117 is the best I have come up with shooting mini mags.

For some reason the eley would let me shoot with nothing touching the gun except for very light cheek with just the trigger and thumb. Before today everytime I had tried this technique my groups would open up. Part of it might be I am finally starting to figure out how to shoot off a rest and bag. I use a bald eagle deluxe rest with windage and a baldy bunny ear rear bag and donut.

I hope I don't get the disease to bad where I have to start buying eley eps match by the case. I am just a poor carpenter, even the eley target @360/case bothers me some.

Does anybody have any other bench techniques that I should try out?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
My CZ rifles like to be held against the shoulder pretty firmly. I pull back on the pistol grip with 3 fingers and try to be as consistent from shot to shot as I can. They also shoot better with pretty firm side pressure on the front bag. I use a Bald Eagle deluxe, too, and it's easy to adjust the side pressure to exaclty what you want.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Forester, I will try your techniques out next trip. Can't hurt and it can only get better. This stuff is not as simple and easy as it looks.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alaska Mike said:
I may have to try the old usbr target and see if I can finally break the 220 barrier. So far 117 is the best I have come up with shooting mini mags.
I shot 2 usbr targets and got a 218 and 219. I think I am doomed and won't break 220. Course once I do, I will be trying for.....

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Mike : The best I've ever achieve with CZ and USBR target was a 227 with Lapua ammo. The gun is a Special, bedded with pressure pad, not floated. Trigger is about 12 oz.

One particular member did quite well with his Lux. Through one season (monthly matches) he averaged 235 !!! His gun was also similarly bedded, with a tuner replacing that front thread cover. He won our annual agg. last year.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nick:
Maybe I have my sights to high, but I think I can do it. My bench techniques are not that good yet. I still believe so far that I am not shooting up to the ability of the gun. I might be wrong but I am going to try and get my average to 220 by the end of this year. My average right now is 212. I guess I am to stuborn to give up yet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good for you, Alaska Mike. Being stubborn and striving to improve is the only way you (or anyone) will excel. Hang in there, keep looking for ways to tighten your shots. That's what makes it fun and challenging!

:t

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.