Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

cz trainer--shorten/thread barrel

486 7
hi everyone,
i am new to the cz world. i just got a deal on a used cz trainer. i am thinking of having the barrel shortened, reinstalling the front site and having the barrel threaded for a suppressor (with protective cap). does this make sense? who would you recommend and what would i expect to pay?

any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.
:harry:
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8,623 Posts
If you shorten the barrel you want be able to reinstall the front site unless you cut the band portion off and DT it.

Don't know who would do the work for you and don't expect it would be cheap.

You can check with High Desert Dog they may do it.

Click here!

· Registered
2,739 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I would have said it's a good plan, but.....
Since then I have bought an American with a 20 inch threaded barrel to go with my 16 inch threaded Silhouette, and I now prefer the longer barrel.
It just seems to 'point' better, and provided you pick a light weight moderator, it does not seem to affect the balance.
I am useing a very light "delrin" moderator on the American, called "The Sound Biter"
Seems to work well enough, and the point of impact is not affected by it, I can shoot with or without it with no ned to re-zero.

Neil. :)

· Registered
10 Posts
It sure seems like gun weight and pointability are pretty subjective. I really like how my 452 with the 16" barrel and a 2.5oz can points. Find it goes up quick and theoretically the barrel is stiffer and should be more accurate or at least be more consistent. I am getting regular .5 5 shot groups at 50 yards both suppressed and un-suppressed.

Boils down to personal taste. I like both the look and feel of the 452 with the shorter barrel.

My suggestion is go with whatever you think looks better. If you are primarily shooting from a bench, 4" of barrel won't matter a bit either way. If you use it in the woods and carry it all day, that 4" may be important to you.

Either way, you can't go wrong with having the Tornado Technologies folks do the work.

Be well,

Mark

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cz barrel redo

thanks for all the input. most of my shooting will be "plinking". i will try the rifle out with a 24" barrel and a variety of ammo. will try subsonic and compare sound against mini mags etc. i have a few friends that say noise level should be low.

i shoot a awc amphibian suppressed 22 handgun--very quiet--will be interesting to compare.

:bthumb:

· Registered
2,739 Posts
will try subsonic and compare sound against mini mags etc. i have a few friends that say noise level should be low.
I started with the Silhouette and it's 16 barrel with a moderator, first impression, very quiet with Subsonic ammo, only ammo that was a little louder were CCI subs, hard to chamber, and a good few went supersonic ??
I then tried it without the moderator, still quiet enough for me, unless you are close to something that will try to contain the noise, then it is a good bit louder.
I noticed this shooting from a shipping contain on a rainy day, the doors were fully open, and the end of the barrel was getting wet, but it was still loud.
Supersonic ammo, I have only tried CCI Mini Mags, I like them, the muzzle blast is fully contained by the moderator, but obviously the crack of the bullet is still loud.
If you go with the moderator and supersonic ammo, make sure you pick a mod that does not rely on any springs, or moving parts.
Then the 20 inch American, I had hoped it would be quiet enough that I would be able to use it without the moderator, not a hope, it is (I think) louder than the 16 inch Silhouette, not sure why or how, but with the same ammo it is louder. With the moderator, there appears to be no difference.
The only other gun I have tried was the Brno Mod 2 I had (very briefly) that had the 24 inch barrel, I used it without the moderator with no problems.

Neil. :)

· Registered
1,410 Posts
I had my American cut to 16" and threaded. Love it! Was thinking about threading the LUX but there just isn't room forward of the front sight. What is great about open sights is they are more accurate the greater your sight radius. I'll be having someone move the sight back 1" and threading the bbl right up to it if I ever make up my mind to do it. The longer bbl will make the shots more quiet than a shorter bbl with the same ammo/moderator combination for various technical reasons. It may be longer and slightly more awkward, but the finished product should be nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.