Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

CZ Scout or Ruger RAR Compact

2104 Views 13 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  timberbeast
Which would be the better rifle for a height deprived short armed grandson?
The CZ looks to have a little shorter LOP and comes with the single shot adapter.
The Ruger Compact comes with two extra stock adapters but there's no mention of a single shot adapter. The difference in price isn't a big factor.

I have a number of CZ's and really like their out of the box accuracy. I haven't had a Ruger rifle (still have some pistols though) for a number of years. The Ruger 10/22 that I had was very ammo selective and the CZ's don't seem to be. Ruger overall quality seems to be hit and miss, while CZ quality has been excellent, although rough cycling until broken in.

I'd especially appreciate comments from those that have or had both or shot both. Thanks
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
430 Posts
I bought a RAR compact to teach my grandkids with and I am very happy with it.
It digests everything with no problems and is accurate to boot.
Might have to buy them another one since I like it.
As you know the stock pieces are interchangeable so they can grow into it.
A Leupold 2X7x28 sits on it and is a good match.
Ruger makes a single shot magazine for teaching the basics of gun handling.
http://shopruger.com/22-Caliber-1-Round-Rotary-Magazine/productinfo/90344/
Did I mention it also has a decent trigger right out of the box.
It is a good choice that you will not be sorry to acquire one.

Dennis

· Premium Member
58,299 Posts
I purchased a Scout for my Granddaughter but either would make a good choice, do you want a more traditional looking wooden and steel rifle or a synthetic and steel, pay your money and make your choice.:t

· X-Mod
18,528 Posts
I have and like both. For training, I do like that the CZ comes with a single shot adapter, but can use the normal magazines. The 10/22 CRR is a little lighter. Both can be dropped into adult stocks down the road.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with either. :)

Edit: Whoops... Ruger RAR huh?... I was thinking about the 10/22 CRR. :eek:

Anyway... another choice to ponder. ;)

· Registered
4,146 Posts
The CZ 452 Scout would be my choice hands down. Never owned the Ruger but have looked at them ,probably an ok rifle but just not my cup of tea.

· Registered
13,233 Posts
Geralds comments above make the most sense to me . . .

. . . he is demonstrating good 'horse sense'. A pair of Scouts in my family, no personal RARs but I've shot them and they are very nice indeed. One factor in favor of the RAR - the .22 Magnum chambering is also offered if that is a consideration.

Good luck with your choice - you are being a good grandparent, you are doing it right! :bthumb:

· Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't bought it yet, but am leaning heavily toward the CZ Scout. Mainly because I have a few and really like them and have had some problems with some of the Rugers I and friends have owned. Haven't "pulled the trigger" yet. I've noted that a few folks have restocked their Scout with a Lux stock, which would be an option as he grows. Don't know if this is a drop in conversion or not. Has anyone done this? Thanks for the comments.

· Registered
3,399 Posts
"The CZ 452 Scout would be my choice hands down."

Agree. I had a chance to buy one from a fellow who was unaware of their real value for $200 . . . when I didn't have the money. And it was scoped. This was 4 yrs ago.

Today, if I could get a few magazines that actually interchange with the 10/22, I'd go Ruger Rimfire more because I'm a Ruger kinda guy. :bthumb:

· Registered
13,233 Posts
I've noted that a few folks have restocked their Scout with a Lux stock, which would be an option as he grows. Don't know if this is a drop in conversion or not. Has anyone done this?
Yes, this dropping in works fine in many CZ full size stocks. I installed my personal Scout in a Style (synthetic stock) and it fits and functions fine. Check the 'stickies' up on top of this forum, you'll find photos of these stock conversions.

But changing the stock for me losses the 'handiness' and gains heft which is what attracted me to the Scout in the 1st place. It just becomes a carbine full size rifle if that makes sense. Definitely a trade in my book.

I'm just under 6'-1" and don't have a problem with the Scout as is, its a handy little thing. :) Hope this helps.

· Registered
209 Posts
Don't have a RAR, yet. I'm waiting for the stainless steel version???. One big plus is that the Ruger designed the stock so that one has a proper cheekweld for iron sights or scope use. And you can also 'grow' the stock. Probably a simple matter to modify a stock module for a custom fit.

One RAR with a set of stock modules could easily provide a proper fit for any shooter, allow switching between irons or scope, and be adjusted from summer tee shirts to bulky winter coats.

That being said, I've got a couple of CZ Scouts (and plan on keeping). One is sitting in an American stock, unsure about the other one.

I've always thought that CZ 'missed the boat' by not offering the Scout with a lower cost beechwood American model stock (like the 452 Americans sold in Australia) as an option or combo.

Fred

· Premium Member
39,147 Posts
I too, would recommend a CZ 452 Scout, but the RAR Compact is a very good alternative. The advantage to the RAR is that it will be less costly to upgrade the stock to an adult size as with the CZ you have to buy a completely new stock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.